Written by the American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses (ASPAN), this all-in-one reference includes all of the vital information you need to succeed on the CAPA and CPAN certification exams and excel in practice. Coverage of both in-hospital and ambulatory care makes PeriAnesthesia Nursing Core Curriculum, 2nd Edition the perfect text for any care setting. Plus, new chapters on bariatric care and postoperative and postdischarge nausea and vomiting and the newest guidelines in all key clinical areas keep you up to date with the latest advances and concerns in the field.
- Authored by ASPAN -- the ultimate authority on scope of practice, competency, and patient care in perianesthesia nursing -- for the most reliable content available.
- Combined perianesthesia nursing and ambulatory surgical nursing core curriculum focuses on the full scope of perianesthesia nursing regardless of the setting, making it an ideal resource for in-hospital and ambulatory practice.
- An entire section on life span considerations addresses basic human growth and development changes for each major age group to prepare you to treat patients of any age.
- Competency of Preoperative Assessment and Core Competencies of PACU Nursing provide the thorough coverage you need to prepare for and pass the CAPA and CPAN exams.
- A section on surgical specialties includes detailed information for each specialty area including anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, operative procedures, postanesthesia priorities, extended observation, and potential complications including anesthesia and pain management.
- Appendixes on certification and test-taking strategies provide outstanding tools to prepare for success on the perianesthesia certification exams.
Section 1 – Professional Competencies
Chapter 1: Evolution of Peranesthesia Care
Chapter 2: Standards for Ethical Practice
Chapter 3: Patient and Family Education
Chapter 4: Research and Evidence-Based Practice
Chapter 5: Legal Issues
Section 2 – Environment of Care
Chapter 6: Practice Settings, Policies and Procedures
Chapter 7: Regulatory Agencies and Accreditation
Chapter 8: Safety
Chapter 9: Continuous Quality Improvement
Section 3 – Life Span Considerations
Chapter 10: Human Growth and Development
Chapter 11: The Pediatric Patient
Chapter 12: The Adolescent Patient
Chapter 13: The Adult Patient
Chapter 14: The Geriatric Patient
Section 4 – Competency of Preoperative Assessment
Chapter 15: Preoperative Assessment Programs
Chapter 16: History and Physical Examinations
Chapter 17: Preexisting Medical Conditions
Chapter 18: Complementary and Alternative Therapies
Chapter 19: The Mentally and Physically Challenged Patient
Chapter 20: Transcultural Nursing
Section 5 – Core Competencies of PACU Nursing
Chapter 21: Fluid, Electrolyte and Acid-Base Balance
Chapter 22: Anesthetic Agents and Adjuncts
Chapter 23: Moderate Sedation/Analgesia
Chapter 24: Thermoregulation
Chapter 25: Postoperative and Postdischarge Nausea and Vomiting NEW!
Chapter 26: Pain and Comfort Management
Chapter 27: Hemodynamic Monitoring
Chapter 28: Perianesthesia Complications
Chapter 29: Hematologic Care
Chapter 30: PACU Phase I Discharge Criteria
Section 6 – Surgical Specialties
Chapter 31: Respiratory Care
Chapter 32: Cardiovascular Care
Chapter 33: Neurologic Care<P
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2010
- 28th October 2009
- eBook ISBN:
Perianesthesia Nursing Consultant, Per Diem Staff Nurse, Exempla Lutheran Medical Center, Wheatridge, CO
Nurse Manager, St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital, Houston, TX