Prepare to succeed on the CPAN® and CAPA® exams with this authoritative guide from ASPAN! PeriAnesthesia Nursing Core Curriculum, 4th Edition is a comprehensive reference that helps you care for patients before and after anesthesia in all types of settings. Coverage of the full scope of perianesthesia nursing makes it an ideal resource for both inpatient and outpatient care. To keep you current on the many facets of perianesthesia, this edition also describes the newest advances in interventional radiology, robotics, and endoscopy procedures. Written by the American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses (ASPAN) and edited by respected perianesthesia nurses Lois Schick and Pam Windle, this book will help you build the skills and expertise you need to excel on your certification exam and in practice.
- Perianesthesia Complications chapter now appears after the System Competencies section to quickly display complications for all system competencies in one spot to help you find this vital information easily.
- System Competencies chapters have been updated to focus on specific, non-redundant topics to help you grasp key points right away.
- UPDATED! Certification of Perianesthesia Nurses and Testing Concepts and Strategies appendicies provide helpful tools for CPAN® or CAPA® certification to assist you to prepare for these exams.
- This authoritative guide written by ASPAN covers the full scope of perianesthesia practice to help you prepare to succeed in practice and on the CPAN® and CAPA® exams.
- Easy-to-use outline format serves as a quick review and reference.
- Objectives at the beginning of each chapter focus on key content to allow you to use the book more effectively.
- Plentiful boxes, tables and illustrations highlight important references to ensure you get the most out of the book’s mutifaceted topics.
- A bibliography at the end of every chapter provides additional resources to make it easy for you to research at an in-depth level.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
SECTION ONE: PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES
1. Evolution of Perianesthesia Care
2. Standards, Legal Issues, and Practice Settings
3. Safety, Quality Improvement, and Regulatory and Accrediting Agencies
4. Research and Evidence-Based Practice
SECTION TWO: PREOPERATIVE ASSESSMENT COMPETENCIES
5. Preoperative Evaluation
6. Preexisting Medical Conditions
7. Transcultural Nursing and Alternative Therapies
8. The Developmentally and Physically Challenged Patient
SECTION THREE: LIFE SPAN COMPETENCIES
9. The Pediatric Patient
10. The Adolescent Patient
11. The Adult Patient
12. The Geriatric Patient
SECTION FOUR: PERIANESTHESIA COMPETENCIES
13. Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Balance
14. Anesthesia, Moderate Sedation/Analgesia
16. Postoperative Nausea and Vomiting
17. Pain and Comfort
SECTION FIVE: SYSTEM COMPETENCIES
23. General Surgery
26. Obstetrics and Gynecology
29. Orthopedics and Podiatry
31. Peripheral Vascular Disease
32. Plastic and Reconstruction
35. Interventional Radiology and Special Procedures
36. Perianesthesia Complications
SECTION SIX: EDUCATION AND DISCHARGE COMPETENCIES
37. Postoperative/Postprocedure Assessment
38. Discharge Criteria, Education, and Postprocedure Care
Appendix A: Certification of Perianesthesia Nurses: The CPAN® and CAPA® Certification Programs
Appendix B: Testing Concepts and Strategies
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2021
- 3rd April 2020
- Paperback ISBN:
Perianesthesia Nursing Consultant, Per Diem Staff Nurse, Exempla Lutheran Medical Center, Wheatridge, CO
Nurse Manager, St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital, Houston, TX