Covering the full spectrum of treatment guidance for dance artists, circus artists, musicians, and more, this practical title by Dr. Lauren E. Elson expertly explores the intersection of sports medicine and performing arts medicine. Ideal for practicing and trainee physiatrists, physical and occupational therapists, and sports medicine physicians, it addresses a wide range of relevant topics including auditory symptoms in musicians; management of the dancer’s foot and ankle, hip, and spine; return-to-dance or return-to-performance guidelines; and much more.
Section 1: Introduction to Performing Arts Medicine
1. Sport or Art? The Intersection of Sports Medicine and Performing Arts Medicine
2. Treating the Performing Artist: Special Considerations
3. Coordinating the Care Team for the Artist
Section 2: Treatment of Musicians
4. Pathologies and Their Treatment in Musicians
5. Using Biofeedback and Awareness to Enhance Treatment of the Musician
6. Managing Auditory Symptoms in Musicians
7. Care of the Marching Musician
Section 3: Treatment of Dance Artists
8. The Dancer’s Foot and Ankle
9. Management of the Dancer’s Hip
10. Management of the Dancer’s Spine
11. Unique Considerations of the Adolescent Dancer
12. Role of Screening in the Professional Dance Company
13. Bone Health Issues of the Dancer
14. Cross-Training for the Dancer
15. Return-to-Dance Strategies and Guidelines for the Dancer
16. Management of Psychological Complications in the Dancer
Section 4: Other Performing Artists
17. Treating the Vocalist
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2019
- 29th November 2018
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Instructor, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Harvard Medical School; Spaulding-Wellesley Rehab Center; Newton Wellesley Vernon Cancer Center, Newton, MA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.