- Master ACGME Core Competencies with the aid of a color-coded system that helps you to integrate evidence-based medicine, continual self-assessment, and cognizance of interpersonal skills into your daily routine.
- Access the high-yield core information you need for pediatric rotations in a portable, pocket-sized format that organizes the most common, must-know pediatric signs/symptoms and disorders by patient presentation.
- Learn to see the "big picture" with the aid of "Teaching Visuals" chapters and "Speaking Intelligently" and "Clinical Thinking" features in clinical chapters.
- Easily locate more in-depth information on any topic with references to Nelson Essentials of Pediatrics, 6th Edition.
- Access the complete contents online at www.studentconsult.com, along with a Competency Self-Assessment Log..."Professors' Pearls" that provide cases with questions and annotated answers...Vertical Reads...and many other features to enhance learning and retention.
- Get advice on managing your career, time, and life outside the clinical setting via bonus online appendices.
Section I: INTRODUCTION TO THE COMPETENCIES
1 How to Study This Book
2 Medical Knowledge
3 Patient Care
5 Interpersonal and Communication Skills
6 Practice-Based Learning and Improvement
7 Systems-Based Practice
8 How to Succeed in the Pediatric Clerkship
9 How to Succeed as a Junior Resident: Continuity Clinic and Inpatient Wards
10 History Taking and Physical Examination
11 Note Writing
12 Oral Presentations
Appendix 1 ACGME General Competencies
Appendix 2 Competency Self-Assessment Form: Pediatrics
Appendix 1 Competency-Based Career Planning
Appendix 2 Organization and Time Management
Appendix 3 Nonclinical Activities
Section II: THE OUTPATIENT OFFICE
13 Essentials of the Pediatric Well Child Visit
14 Developmental Screening and Surveillance
15 Anticipatory Guidance
16 The Newborn Well Child Visit
17 Teaching Visual: Examination of the Infant Hip
18 The 1-, 2-, and 4-Month Well Child Visits
19 The 6-Month Well Child Visit
20 The 9-Month Well Child Visit
21 The 12-Month Well Child Visit
22 The 18- and 24-Month Well Child Visits
23 The Annual Well Child Visit
24 The Adolescent Well Child Visit
25 The Special Needs Child
27 Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (Case 1)
28 Down Syndrome
29 Preparticipation Physical Evaluation
30 Sore Throat (Case 2)
31 Cough (Case 3)
32 Headache in Childhood (Case 4)
33 Eye Pain and Discharge (Case 5)
34 Diarrhea (Case 6)
35 Constipation (Case 7)
36 Fever (Case 8)
37 Ear Pain (Case 9)