Covering the full spectrum of health conditions seen in the primary care of children, Pediatric Primary Care, 5th Edition emphasizes both prevention and management from the unique perspective of the Nurse Practitioner. Written by an expert editor/contributor team, it provides in-depth, evidence-based guidance for assessing and managing health problems in children from infancy through adolescence. Other key topics include developmental theory, the health status of children today, issues of daily living, and cultural considerations.
Four-part organization includes an introductory unit, plus units on child development, the health management of children, and diseases and disorders common to childhood.UNIQUE! Functional health patterns framework in Unit Three provides a lens for discussing health promotion through the various components of healthy living.
- UNIQUE! ICD framework in Unit Four addresses the classification used to code diseases in both hospital and outpatient settings.
- UNIQUE! Practice management chapter provides need-to-know information on managing a private healthcare practice, including issues of productivity, compliance with applicable laws, quality-of-care indicators, and successful business practices.
- UNIQUE! Environmental health chapter offers evidence-based content on the effects of environmental toxicants, such as tobacco smoke, heavy metals, and air pollutants.
- An 8-page color insert presents over 40 photos that visually demonstrate key assessment findings for ear, skin, and other conditions.
Unit One: Pediatric Primary Care Foundations
- Health Status of Children: Global and Local Perspectives
- Child and Family Health Assessment
- Cultural Perspectives for Pediatric Primary Care
- Developmental Management in Pediatric Primary Care
- Developmental Management of Infants
- Developmental Management of Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Developmental Management of School-Age Children
- Developmental Management of Adolescents
- Introduction to Functional Health Patterns and Health Promotion
- Elimination Patterns
- Physical Activity and Sports for Children and Adolescents
- Sleep and Rest
- Cognitive-Perceptual Disorders: Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Learning Problems, Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Blindness and Deafness
- Self-Perception Issues
- Role Relationships
- Coping and Stress Tolerance: Mental Health and Illness
- Values and Beliefs
- Introduction to Disease Management
- NEW! Pediatric Pain Management
- Infectious Diseases and Immunizations
- Atopic and Rheumatic Disorders
- Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders
- Hematologic Disorders
Unit Two: Management of Development
Unit Three: Approaches to Health Management in Pediatric Primary Care
Unit Four: Approaches to Disease Management
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2013
- 24th February 2012
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Professor Emeritus, Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner Specialty, School of Nursing, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, Oregon
Associate Professor Emeritus, University of Portland School of Nursing, Portland, Oregon; Professor, Retired, Samuel Merritt College School of Nursing, Oakland, California
Professor, School of Nursing, California State University Long Beach, Long Beach, California; Co-Director, PNP Program, School of Nursing, Azusa Pacific University, Azusa, California
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, Advanced Pediatric Associates, Aurora, Colorado
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, Albertina Kerr Health Services, Portland, Oregon