- Over 1,200 full-color illustrations and photographs depict the clinical manifestations of disease and disease processes — more than in any other pathophysiology text.
- A fully updated glossary includes 1,000 terms, and makes lookup easier by grouping together similar topics and terms.
- Outstanding authors Kathryn McCance and Sue Huether have extensive backgrounds as researchers and instructors, and utilize expert contributors, consultants, and reviewers in developing this edition.
- Chapter summary reviews provide concise synopses of the main points of each chapter.
- Consistent presentation of diseases includes pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and evaluation and treatment.
- Lifespan content includes ten separate pediatric chapters and special sections with aging and pediatrics content.
- Algorithms and flowcharts of diseases and disorders make it easy to follow the sequential progression of disease processes.
- Nutrition and Disease boxes explain the link between concepts of health promotion and disease.
PART ONE: CENTRAL CONCEPTS OF PATHOPHYSIOLOGY: CELLS AND TISSUES
Unit I: The Cell
1. Cellular Biology
2. Altered Cellular and Tissue Biology
3. The Cellular Environment: Fluids and Electrolytes, Acids and Bases
Unit II: Genes and Gene-Environment Interaction
4. Genes and Genetic Diseases
5. Genes, Environment-Lifestyle, and Common Diseases
6. Epigenetics and Disease NEW!
Unit III: Mechanisms of Self-Defense
7. Innate Immunity: Inflammation
8. Adaptive Immunity
9. Alterations in Immunity and Inflammation
11. Stress and Disease
Unit IV: Cellular Proliferation: Cancer
12. Cancer Biology
13. Cancer Epidemiology
14. Cancer in Children
PART TWO: PATHOPHYSIOLOGIC ALTERATIONS: ORGANS AND SYSTEMS
Unit V: The Neurologic System
15. Structure and Function of the Neurologic System
16. Pain, Temperature Regulation, Sleep, and Sensory Function
17. Alterations in Cognitive Systems, Cerebral Hemodynamics, and Motor Function
18. Disorders of the Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems and the Neuromuscular Junction
19. Neurobiology of Schizophrenia, Mood Disorders, and Anxiety Disorders
20. Alterations of Neurologic Function in Children
Unit VI: The Endocrine System
21. Mechanisms of Hormonal Regulation
22. Alterations of Hormonal Regulation
Unit VII: The Reproductive Systems
23. Structure and Function of the Reproductive Systems
24. Alterations of the Female Reproductive System
25. Alterations of the Male Reproductive System
26. Sexually Transmitted Infections
Unit VIII: The Hematologic System
27. Structure and Function of the Hematologic System
28. Alterations of Erythrocyte Function
29. Alterations of Leukocyte, Lymphoid, and Hemostatic Function
30. Alterations of Hematologic Function in Chil