No other textbook provides coverage of the essential concepts of disease processes and disorders with the specific needs of the physical therapy assistant in mind. Pathology for the Physical Therapist Assistant provides coverage of disease processes and systemic disorders as well as guidelines, precautions, and contraindications for physical therapy interventions. Catherine Goodman, Kenda Fuller, and Robbie O’Shea share their expertise in a consistent, well-organized approach that defines each disorder, describes the appropriate physical therapy assessment and intervention, and rounds out the discussion with relevant case study examples based on established practice patterns.
- Chapters follow a consistent organization, first defining a disorder and then describing the appropriate physical therapy assessment and intervention.
- Full-color art throughout clearly depicts pathologies and interventions.
- Case studies provide examples of physical therapy applications to help you connect theory and practice and build strong clinical reasoning skills.
- Special boxes highlight Clinical Signs, Interventions, and Case Studies to alert you to important information within the text.
- Terminology and language from the Guide to Physical Therapy Practice is used throughout to familiarize you with standardized terminology used in practice.
- A companion Evolve website provides additional online learning activities including online chapters, references linked to Medline, case studies, and self-test questions.
SECTION I: INTRODUCTION
1 Introduction to Concepts of Pathology
2 Problems Affecting Multiple Systems
3 Injury, Inflammation and Healing
SECTION II: CLINICAL MEDICINE
4 The Immune System
5 Infectious disease
7 The Integumentary System
8 The Endocrine and Metabolic Systems
9 The Cardiovascular System
10 The Hematologic System
11 The Respiratory System
12 The Gastrointestinal System
13 The Hepatic, Pancreatic, and Biliary Systems
14 The Renal and Urologic Systems
SECTION III: PATHOLOGY OF THE MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM
15 Introduction to Pathology of the Musculoskeletal System & Metabolic Disorders
16 Genetic and Developmental Disorders
17 Infectious Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System
18 Musculoskeletal Neoplasms
19 Soft Tissue, Joint and Bone Disorders and Metabolic disorders
SECTION IV: PATHOLOGY OF THE NERVOUS SYSTEM
20 Introduction to Central Nervous System Disorders
21 Infectious Disorders of the Central Nervous System
22 Central Nervous System Neoplasms
23 Degenerative Diseases of the Central Nervous System
25 Traumatic Brain Injury
26 Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury
27 Cerebral Palsy
30 The Peripheral Nervous System
ONLINE ONLY chapters:
E1 Behavioral, Social, and Environmental Factors Contributing to Disease and Dysfunction
E2 The Psychosocial-Spiritual Impact on Health Care
E3 Environmental and Occupational Medicine
E4 The Male Genital/Reproductive System
E5 The Female Genital/Reproductive
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2011
- 7th February 2011
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Medical Multimedia Group, Faculty Affiliate, University of Montana, Missoula, MT
ABPTS Board Certified Specialist in Neurologic Physical Therapy, Co-owner South Valley Physical Therapy, P.C., Denver, CO, Clinical Instructor, Physical Therapy Program, University of Colorado Health Science Center, Denver, CO