Understand the why behind diseases and disorders and how it affects what you do in everyday practice with Goodman and Fuller’s Pathology Essentials for the Physical Therapist Assistant, 2nd Edition. This reader-friendly book serves as both a great learning guide and reference tool as it covers all the pathology-related information that is most relevant to what you, the future or practicing physical therapy assistant, need to know. Each chapter takes a well-organized approach as it defines each pathology disorder; describes the appropriate physical therapy assessments, interventions, guidelines, precautions, and contraindications; and rounds out the discussion with relevant case study examples based on established practice patterns. This new edition also features new critical thinking questions and clinical scenarios on Evolve which bring the material to life and help you see how the information in the book can be applied to the day-to-day work of a physical therapist assistant.
- PTA-specific information and reading level provides easy-to-follow guidance that is specific to the role of the PTA in managing patients.
- Special Implications for the PTA sections offer a starting point when addressing a particular condition for the first time.
- Medical management section addresses diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis for each condition discussed.
- Easy-to-follow, consistent format features a well-organized approach that defines each disorder followed by sections on clinical manifestations and medical management.
- More than 700 full-color images help reinforce understanding of disease conditions and general pathology principles.
- Coverage of basic science information and the clinical implications of disease within the rehabilitation process gives readers a solid background in common illnesses and diseases, adverse effects of drugs, organ transplantation, laboratory values, and much more.
- Terminology and language from the Guide to Physical Therapy Practice is used throughout the text to familiarize readers with the standardized terminology that’s used in practice.
- Abundance of tables and boxes organize and summarize important points making it easy to access key information.
- Twelve e-chapters offer supplemental information in the areas of behavioral issues, the gastrointestinal system, vestibular disorders and more.
Section 1: Introduction
1. Introduction to Concepts of Pathology
2. Problems Affecting Multiple Systems
3. Injury, Inflammation, and Healing
Section 2: Clinical Medicine
4. The Immune System
5. Infectious Disease
7. The Integumentary System
8. The Endocrine and Metabolic Systems
9. The Cardiovascular System
10. The Hematologic System
11. The Respiratory System
12. The Hepatic, Pancreatic, and Biliary Systems
Section 3: Pathology of the Musculoskeletal System
13. Introduction to Pathology of the Musculoskeletal System
14. Genetic and Developmental Disorders
15. Infectious Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System
16. Musculoskeletal Neoplasms
17. Bone, Joint, and Soft Tissue Diseases and Disorders
Section 4: Pathology of the Nervous System
18. Introduction to Central Nervous System Disorders
19. Infectious Disorders of the Central Nervous System
20. Degenerative Diseases of the Central Nervous System
22. Traumatic Brain Injury
23. Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury
24. Cerebral Palsy
25. The Peripheral Nervous System
1. Behavioral, Social, and Environmental Factors Contributing to Disease and Dysfunction
2. The Psychosocial-Spiritual Impact on Health Care
3. Environmental and Occupational Medicine
4. The Gastrointestinal System
5. The Renal and Urologic Systems
6. Central Nervous System Neoplasms
9. The Male Genital or Reproductive System
10. The Female Genital or Reproductive System
11. Vestibular Disorders
12. Laboratory Tests and Values
Appendix A: Summary of
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2018
- 9th December 2016
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN: