Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Passive optical network (PON) technologies have become an important broadband access technology as a result of the growing demand for bandwidth-hungry video-on-demand applications. Written by the leading researchers and industry experts in the field, Passive Optical Networks provides coherent coverage of networking technologies, fiber optic transmission technologies, as well as the electronics involved in PON system development.
- An in-depth overview of PON technologies and the potential applications that they enable
- Comprehensive review of all major PON standards and architecture evolutions, as well as their pros and cons
- Balanced coverage of recent research findings with economic and engineering considerations
- Presents system issues of protocols, performance, management and protection
- Extensive references to standards and research materials for further studies
This book provides an authoritative overview of PON technologies and system requirements and is ideal for engineers and managers in industry, university researchers, and graduate students.
- Balances treatment of the optical technologies with systems issues such as protocols, performance, management and protection
- Covers latest developments in WDM-PONS, protection switching, dynamic bandwidth allocation
- Practical coverage with a chapter on PON applications and deployment
- Case studies on implementing PONs
Engineers of PON system vendors and service providers; Researchers and graduate students; Optoelectronic component vendors; Managers and executives working with PON technologies
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: PON Architectures Review
Chapter 3: Optical Technologies in Passive Optical Access Networks
Chapter 4: Transceivers for Passive Optical Networks
Chapter 5: Ranging and Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation
Chapter 6: Protection Architectures for Passive Optical Networks
Chapter 7: Optical Characterization, Diagnosis and Performance Monitoring for PON
Appendix I: G-PON PMD Characteristics
Appendix II: EPON MPCPDU Formats
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2007
- 16th October 2007
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Cedric Lam was co-founder of Google Fiber which changed the landscape of broadband access networks in North America with the introduction of nationwide Gigabit FTTH networks. Cedric has experience both in product development and in engineering service provider networks. He started his career with AT&T and later joined Opvista, a startup company building high capacity optical transport equipment, as chief system architect. After Opvista, he joined Google to work on datacenter networks before embarking the effort on Google Fiber, where he is now Engineering Director, leading the Architecture and Device Engineering team. He is a member of the CORD Technical Steering Team, and Fellow of OSA. He also edited the first text book in PON: Passive Optical Networks, Principles and Practice, Academic Press, 2007.
Engineering Director, Google Fiber, 1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.