Get new insights into the causes, detection and therapy of osteoporosis and the osteoporosis of rheumatic diseases. In this state-of-the-art resource, you'll find coverage of all the latest scientific and clinical developments, new concepts in epidemiology, cutting-edge information on genetics and pathogenic mechanisms, current developments in diagnostic interventions and prevention, and the very latest techniques in treatment. This is a must-have reference for comprehensive, one-stop coverage of Osteoporosis.
- Allows planning of early interventions, as appropriate, to augment peak adult bone mass.
- Highlights the necessary tools for early diagnosis, and monitoring of disease progression.
- Discusses the very latest in pharmacologic interventions, including biophosphonates, SERMS, and osteoanabolic agents.
- Provides access to the latest information on disease modifying or disease controlling biologic agents.
- Incorporates the latest on glucocorticoid and transplantation- induced osteoporosis, as well as osteoporosis in the rheumatic diseases.
1. Epidemiology of Osteoporosis (women, men, children)
2. Genetics of Osteoporosis
3. Peak Bone Mass Acquisition
4. Who Should we Treat for Osteoporosis?
B. Pathogenetic Mechanisms
1. The Pathogenesis of Osteoporosis- A Disease of Bone Remodeling
2. Biomechanics of Bone
3. Animal Models and Implications for Therapy
4. The Bone Biopsy- What Information Can We Obtain
C. Clinical Aspects of the Disease
1. The Patient with Osteoporosis
2. Clinical Application of the Measurement of Bone Mass a. DXA b. QCT
c. Peripheral measurements (pDXA, ultrasound)
3. Bone Turnover Markers
a. Their Place in the Investigation of Osteoporosis
b. The Evaluation of Bone Turnover Markers for Fracture Risk and Treatment
4. The Evaluation of the Patient for Osteoporosis- Using the Diagnostic Tests for Treatment Interventions.
D. Treatment of the Disease (*All chapters cover both the science and the therapy in the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis)
1. Exercise in the Prevention of Osteoporotic Fractures
2. Calcium in the Prevention and Treatment of Osteoporosis
3. Vitamin D and its Metabolites in the Prevention and Treatment of Osteoporosis
5. Estrogen/SERMs- The Science and the Therapy in Prevention and Treatment of Osteoporosis
6. Androgens, Gonadal Steroids in Bone Health
7. Calcitonin: The Science and Clinical Utilization
8. Bisphosphonates: The Science and the Therapy in the Prevention and Treatment of Osteoporosis
9. PTH: The Science and the Therapy in the Treatment of Osteoporosis
10. Combination therapy for Osteoporosis- What does the Data Show Us
E. Non-medical Treatment of Osteoporosis
1. The Disability Associated with Osteoporosis
2. The Rehabilitation of patients with Osteoporosis and Fractures
3. The Treatment of Osteoporotic Fractures- The Surgical Perspective
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2006
- 26th May 2006
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN: