Part B. Computer-Assisted Organic Synthesis. Computers, Computation, Computerisation and Artificial Intelligence, the "Exploration Tree". References. Appendix: B-1. UGI's Theory of Chemical Constitution: EROS and IGOR. References. Appendix B-2. Instructions for the Use of the Chaos and Chaosbase Programs. Appendix B-3. Chaos: Tables of Disconnection Groups. Appendix B-4. Suggested Exercises to be Solved by Chaos. Subject Index. Glossary of abbreviations.
The first edition of this book was welcomed with great enthusiasm by teachers and students. It therefore seemed opportune to publish a second, revised, updated and extended edition. Unfortunately, Professor Fèlix Serratosa died before he could complete this task.
Some new material has been added, the more significant changes being:
1) The book has been restructured into two well-differentiated sections: Part A, dealing with conventional organic synthesis, and Part B, devoted exclusively to computer-assisted organic synthesis and based on the former Chapter 11 and Appendices 2, 3 and 4 of the first edition. As decided in advance, Part B was to be the sole responsibility of Dr. Josep Xicart, who prepared the first versions of the CHAOS (Computerisation and Heuristics Applied to Organic Synthesis) program under the direction of Professor Serratosa.
2) In Chapter 1, emphasis is placed on new objectives and targets, as well as on the role that organic synthesis should play in the future in new areas of supramolecular chemistry and bioorganic chemistry.
3) A more extended discussion on synthetic methods and strategies based on radical carbon-carbon bond-forming reactions has been included (Chapter 7).
4) Some new examples to illustrate the heuristic principles have been incorporated (Chapter 4).
5) The chapter on alicyclic stereoselection has been split into two chapters (9 and 10). Chapter 10, which is exclusively devoted to Sharpless's asymmetric epoxidation and dihyroxylation, has been written de novo. The most recent advances in catalytic stereoselective aldol are incorporated in Chapter 9.
6) In Chapter 11, which is new, the aim is to firstly, present a panoramic view of the most important methods for preparation of optically pure compounds in industrial scale (chirotechnology) and secondly, to give a brief insight into the new biological synthetic methodologies, such as the use of enzymes and catalytic monoclonal ant
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier Science 1996
- 9th May 1996
- Elsevier Science
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Formerly at the University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain (Part A)
University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain (Part B)