Optical Wireless Communications for Broadband Global Internet Connectivity: Fundamental and Potential Applications provides a comprehensive overview for readers who require information about the fundamental science behind optical wireless communications, as well as up-to-date advanced knowledge of the state-of-the-art technologies available today. The book is a useful resource for scientists, researchers, engineers and students interested in understanding optical, wireless communication systems for global channels. Readers will find beneficial knowledge on how related technologies of optical wireless communications can be integrated into achieving worldwide Internet connectivity.
- Presents an in-depth coverage of information on optical wireless communication in a single source
- Combines the fundamentals with the most recent advanced technology of achieving global Internet access and connectivity
- Provides derivations of the mathematical equations
- Includes between chapter sections where information and learning from one chapter is connected to other chapters
Scientists and researchers in academia and industry, optical engineers and (post)-graduate students working in the field of Optical Wireless Communications
2. Basics of Global broadband wireless access: Architectures for worldwide access and connectivity
3. Last Mile Problem re-visited with potential solution for broadband connectivity
4. Fundamentals of Free Space Optical Communications Systems, Optical Channels, Characterization and Network/Access Technology
5. Some related technology concepts to enhance optical wireless link connectivity
6. OWC links between Single and Multiple Platforms (UAVs, Balloons/Drones/HAPs, Satellites): Performance Analysis
7. OWC/FSO Communication System for Global Internet Connectivity/access: System concept, analysis and architecture
8. Principles and Implementation of Secure Optical Wireless Communications
9. Recent Developments of Satellite-based Laser Communication
10. Free Space Optical Communications: role and integration with Internet of Things (IoT)
11. Potential Applications for broadband global connectivity
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2019
- 1st September 2018
- Paperback ISBN:
Professor Arun K. Majumdar is a research scientist and a former university professor. In the past he has worked in optical communications and research industries for over 28 years, was the Director of Research at LCResearch, Inc. in California. He served as a full Professor at the University of Colorado for five years, and served as a Visiting Professor at both NIST and at the Brno University of Technology in the Czech Republic. Professor Majumdar has published over 395 articles in international scientific peer-reviewed journals, has written over 25 technical reports, and is the author/editor of two other books. He is a member of IEEE, OSA, and SPIE.
He received his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from the University of California, Irvine.
Naval Air Warfare Center,U.S. Department of the Navy, China Lake, CA, USA