Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
"Optical Communications in the 5G Era provides an up-to-date overview of the emerging optical communication technologies for 5G wireless networks. It outlines the emerging applications of optical networks in supporting future wireless networks, state-of-the-art optical communication technologies, and explores new R&D opportunities in the field of converged fixed-mobile networks.
This book is an ideal reference for university researchers, graduate students, and industry R&D engineers in optical communications, photonics, and wireless communications who need a broad and deep understanding of modern optical communication technologies, systems, and networks that are fundamental to 5G and beyond."
- Describes 5G wireless trends and technologies such as cloud radio access networks (C-RAN), massive multiple-input and multiple-output (MIMO), and coordinated multipoint (CoMP)
- Gives an insight into recent advances on the common public radio interface (CPRI), the Ethernet-based CPRI (eCPRI), and the next-generation fronthaul interface (NGFI)
- Presents X-haul technologies and how transport technologies can satisfy the mobile network needs
- Identifies promising applications of optical communication technologies in future 5G wireless networks
- Describes key optical communication technologies such as 100+Gb/s coherent transmission, low-cost direct-detection systems, and associated digital signal processing (DSP) techniques for high-throughput and low-latency wireless fronthaul and backhaul networks
- Gives various network architectures and designs of optical transport and access systems for better converged fiber/wireless networks
- Discusses emerging optical technologies such as optical sensing, optical ranging, optical face recognition, and optical signal processing
Optical engineers, optical communications engineers, mobile and wireless
2. 5G Wireless Trends and Technologies
3. The Optical Interfaces for 5G
4. Optical Modulation and Detection Technologies for 5G
5. Optical Transceiver Technologies for 5G
6. Optical Link Layer Technologies for 5G
7. Advanced Wavelength-Division Multiplexing
8. Passive Optical Networking (PON) for 5G
9. Mobile-Optimized Optical Transport Networking (M-OTN) for 5G
10. Other Emerging Optical Technologies for 5G
11. Concluding Remarks
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2021
- 1st November 2021
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
Dr. Xiang Liu is the Vice President for Optical Transport and Access at Futurewei Technologies. He had been with Bell Labs working on high-speed optical transmission technologies for 14 years. Dr. Liu earned a Ph.D. degree in Applied Physics from Cornell University in 2000. He has authored more than 350 publications and holds more than 100 US patents. He has served as a General Co-Chair of 2018 Optical Fiber Communication Conference (OFC) and a Co-Editor of IEEE Communications Magazine's Optical Communications and Networks Series. He is currently serving as a Deputy Editor of Optics Express and an Advisory Board Member of the Next-Generation Optical Transport Forum. He was elected Fellow of the Optical Society of America (OSA) in 2011 for contributions to fundamental research in optical fiber communications that have been incorporated in commercial systems, including high-speed phase-shift keyed transmission and nonlinearity mitigation, and Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) in 2017 for contributions to broadband optical fiber communication systems and networks. Since 2017, he has been teaching an OFC short course on Optical Communication Technologies for 5G. He has also served as a co-organizer of OSA’s first 5G Summit held in 2019 and second 5G Summit held in 2021.
Vice President of Optical Transport and Access at Futurewei Technologies.
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.