Whether youre a newcomer to the ICU or a seasoned practitioner, Oh's Intensive Care Manual delivers the practical, expert answers you need to manage the conditions you see every day in the intensive care unit. This highly esteemed, bestselling medical reference book presents comprehensive detail on each topic, while maintaining a succinct, accessible style so this information can be seamlessly incorporated into your daily practice.
"Oh’s Intensive Care Manual would represent a solid addition to any anesthesia departmental library as a resource or study aid." Reviewed by Canadian Journal of Anesthesia, Apr 2015
- Access everything you need to know about disease processes and their management during the course of ICU rotations.
- Gain valuable insight into the consensus of practice and standard of ICU care as followed in the UK, Europe, India, and Australia.
- Take advantage of expert advice on practical issues that will be encountered on a day-to-day basis in the ICU, as well as common pitfalls in treatment and management emphasized in each chapter.
Part 1. Organisation Aspects
1. Design and organisation of intensive care units
2. Critical care outreach and rapid response systems
3. Severity of illness and likely outcome from critical illness
4. Transport of the critically ill patients
5. Physiotherapy in intensive care
6. Critical care nursing
7. Ethics in intensive care
8. Common problems after ICU
9. Clinical information systems
10. Clinical trials in critical care
11. Palliative care
12. ICU and the elderly
13. Health care team in intensive care medicine
14. Preparing for examinations in intensive care medicine
Part 2. Shock
15. Overview of shock
16. Haemodynamic monitoring
17. Multiple organ dysfunction syndrome
18. Monitoring oxygenation
19. Lactic acidosis
Part 3. Acute Coronary Care
20. Acute cardiac syndromes, investigations and interventions
21. Adult cardiopulmonary resuscitation
22. Management of cardiac arrhythmias
23. Cardic pacing and implantable cardioverter defibrillators
24. Acute heart failure
25. Valvular and congenital heart disease and bacterial endocarditis
26. Intensive care after cardiac surgery
27. Echocardiography in the intensive care unit
Part 4. Respiratory Failure
28. Oxygen therapy
29. Airway management and acute airway obstruction
30. Acute respiratory failure in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
31. Mechanical ventilation
32. Humidification and inhalation therapy
33. The acute respiratory distress syndrome
34. Pulmonary embolism
35. Acute severe asthma
37. Non-invasive ventilation
38. Respiratory monitoring
39. Imaging the chest
"The short and succinct chapters pack in the essential items of knowledge. Each area covered gives both theoretical basis, but also the practical ways of treating the condition being described and the evidence basis for doing so."
BMA Book Awards 2009 - judges comments
"The seventh edition of Oh’s Intensive Care Manual replaces the 2009 version and provides additional content. For the first time it is also published in an excellent electronic version, access to which is included in the purchase of the hard copy as well as being available separately.
Overall this is an accessible, well-written and well-designed resource: a clearly designed and sensibly organised contents page makes the book straightforward to navigate."
Reviewed by: British Journal of Anaesthesia Date: Jan 2015