Loved for its humor, readability, and inviting cartoons, Nursing Today: Transitions and Trends, 9th Edition helps you prepare for the NCLEX-RN® Examination — while giving you valuable information to succeed in your professional career. It reflects current issues and trending topics that nurses will face, ensuring that you graduate not only with patient care skills, but also with career development skills such as resume writing, finding a job, and effective interviewing. This edition features test-taking tips for the NCLEX-RN® Examination and updated Evolve resources for students, including review questions and case studies.
- Thorough coverage of all the most important issues faced by the new nurse, preparing you for a professional career.
- An engaging approach features lively cartoons, chapter objectives, bibliographies, and colorful summary boxes.
- An emphasis on making the transition into the workplace is included in chapters such as NCLEX-RN and the New Graduate, Employment Considerations: Opportunities, Resumes, and Interviewing, and Mentorship and Preceptorship.
- Critical Thinking boxes in every chapter offer questions and exercises asking you to apply what you have learned to clinical practice.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes, and evidence-based practice content throughout, focus your attention on the research evidence that supports clinical practice.
- Content on the role of nursing includes changes related to the BSN in 10 campaign and how these might affect entry into practice, as well as differentiated nursing practice models.
- Mentoring and preceptorship content discusses preceptorships as a capstone course versus a formalized preceptorship or nurse externship in which a student is employed by a healthcare facility, as well as the advantages of and tips for getting a nurse externship while in nursing school.
Unit I: Professional Growth and Transition
1. Reality Shock
2. Personal Management: Time and Self-care Strategies
3. Mentorship, Preceptorship, and Nurse Residency Programs
4. Employment Considerations: Opportunities, Resumes and Interviewing
5. NCLEX-RN and the New Graduate
Unit II: Nursing: A Developing Profession
6. Historical Perspectives
7. Nursing Education
8. Nursing Theories
9. Professional Image of Nursing
Unit III: Nursing Management
10. Nursing Management & Leadership
11. Building Nursing Management Skills
12. Effective Communication & Team Building
13. Conflict Management
14. Delegation in the Clinical Setting
Unit IV: Current Issues in Health Care
15. The Health Care Organization and Patterns of Nursing Care Delivery
16. Economics in the Health Care Delivery System
17. Political Action in Nursing
18. Collective Bargaining
19. Ethical Issues
20. Legal Issues
Unit V: Contemporary Nursing Practice
21. Cultural & Spiritual Awareness
22. Quality Patient Care
23. Nursing Informatics
24. Using Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research
25. Work Place Issues
26. Emergency Preparedness
Appendix A: Boards of Nursing
Appendix B: National Nursing Organizations
Appendix C: American Nurses Association and Constituent Member Associations
Appendix D: Canadian Nursing Associations
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2017
- 2nd November 2016
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
JoAnn Zerwekh, EdD, RN is a nurse educator with extensive experience in nursing education. She has been presenting NCLEX® review courses for graduate nurses for over 30 years and is the author of multiple NCLEX® review books.
President/CEO Nursing Education Consultants, Inc. Chandler, Arizona Joannzerwekh@gmail.com
Nursing Faculty, GateWay Community College, Phoenix, Arizona
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.