A student favorite for its easy-to-read style, real-life applications, and humorous cartoons, Nursing Today: Transition and Trends, 7th Edition Revised Reprint helps you make a successful transition from student to practicing nurse. It covers the profession’s leading issues and opportunities, ensuring that you graduate not only with patient care skills but with career development skills including resume writing, finding a job, and effective interviewing. Test-taking tips and strategies prepare you for the NCLEX-RN® exam, and discussions of communication and management issues prepare you to succeed in the workplace. In this edition, well-known educator JoAnn Zerwekh and coauthor Ashley Zerwekh Garneau provide the latest information on nursing issues and trends including health care reform, patient safety, collective bargaining, and emergency preparedness.
- Thorough coverage prepares you for a professional nursing career by including all of the most important issues faced by the new nurse.
- An engaging presentation features lively cartoons, chapter objectives, bibliographies, and colorful summary boxes.
- Critical Thinking boxes are located in every chapter, with relevant questions and exercises to apply what you have learned to clinical practice.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes focus on the research evidence that supports clinical practice.
- Real-life scenarios in each chapter illustrate and personalize the chapter topics.
- An emphasis on making the transition into the workplace is included in chapters such as NCLEX-RN® and the New Graduate, Employment Considerations: Opportunities, Resumes, and Interviewing, and Mentoring and Preceptorship.
- A companion Evolve website includes Case Studies for every chapter, test-taking strategies, a sample NCLEX® test tutorial, a sample NCLEX® exam, appendices, and resume builder templates for creating professional resumes and cover letters.
1. Role Transitions
2. Personal Management: Time and Self-Care Strategies
3. Mentorship, Preceptorship, and Nurse Residency Programs
Unit II: Career Development
4. Employment Considerations: Opportunities, Resumes, and Interviewing
5. NCLEX-RN® Examination and the New Graduate
Unit III: Nursing: A Developing Profession
6. Historical Perspectives: Influences of the Past
7. Nursing Education
8. Nursing Theory
9. Image of Nursing: Influences of the Present
Unit IV: Nursing Management
10. Challenges of Nursing Management and Leadership
11. Building Nursing Management Skills
12. Effective Communication and Team Building
13. Conflict Management
14. Delegation in the Clinical Setting
Unit V: Current Issues in Health Care
15. The Health Care Organization and Patterns of Nursing Care Delivery
16. Economics of the Health Care Delivery System
17. Political Action in Nursing
18. Collective Bargaining: Traditional (Union) and Nontraditional Approaches
19. Ethical Issues
20. Legal Issues
Unit VI: Contemporary Nursing Practice
21. Cultural and Spiritual Awareness
22. Quality Patient Care
23. Nursing Informatics
24. Using Nursing Research in Practice
25. Workplace Issues
26. Emergency Preparedness