With an emphasis on how nursing research is appraised and applied, Nursing Research: Methods and Critical Appraisal for Evidence-Based Practice, 8th Edition offers a comprehensive introduction to the nursing research concepts and methods essential to today’s evidence-based healthcare environment. Coverage includes clear guidelines for evaluating research and applying scientific evidence to practice, qualitative and quantitative research, appraising and critiquing research, critical thinking, and clinical decision making using research information.
The American Journal of Nursing (AJN) Book of the Year Awards recognized the 8th edition with a first-place award in the Nursing Research category.
- Balanced coverage acquaints you with the processes behind research and evidence-based practice.
- Distinct coverage of qualitative and quantitative research approaches are presented in separate parts of the book to avoid the confusion that often results when the two are interwoven.
- Complete, high-quality research examples, including three sample critiques, demonstrate how to apply the principles outlined in the text to published quantitative and qualitative research studies.
- Research Vignettes help bridge the gaps among clinical research, academia, and clinical practice.
- All-star cast of contributors represents a widely respected team of experts in nursing research and evidence-based practice.
- Each chapter contains a variety of popular learning aids, including Key Terms, Learning Outcomes, Helpful Hints, Evidence-Based Practice Tips, Appraising the Evidence, Critiquing Criteria, Critique of a Research Study, Critical Thinking Decision Paths, Critical Thinking Challenges, and Key Points.
PART I. OVERVIEW OF RESEARCH AND EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE
Research Vignette:Improving Supportive Care for Cancer Patients and Their Families
- Integrating Research, Evidence-Based Practice, and Quality Improvement Processes
- Research Questions, Hypotheses, and Clinical Questions
- Gathering and Appraising the Literature
- Theoretical Frameworks for Research New!
- Introduction to Qualitative Research
- Qualitative Approaches to Research
- Appraising Qualitative Research
- Introduction to Quantitative Research
- Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Designs
- Nonexperimental Designs
- Systematic Reviews and Clinical Practice Guidelines New!
- Legal and Ethical Issues
- Data Collection Methods
- Reliability and Validity
- Data Analysis: Descriptive and Inferential Statistics
- Understanding Research Findings
- Appraising Quantitative Research
PART II. PROCESSES AND EVIDENCE RELATED TO QUALITATIVE RESEARCH
Research Vignette:Program of Research on Substance Use Disorders
PART III. PROCESSES AND EVIDENCE RELATED TO QUANTITATIVE RESEARCH
Research Vignette:From Pressure Ulcer Prediction to Preventive Interventions
PART IV. APPLICATION OF RESEARCH: EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE
Research Vignette:Incorporating Information and Communication Technology Tools for HIV into Practice
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2014
- 27th September 2013
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor, Director of PhD Nursing Program, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, School of Nursing, Nursing Systems and Technology, Houston, Texas
The Ursula Springer Leadership Professor in Nursing and Associate Dean for Graduate Programs, College of Nursing, New York University, New York, New York