Learn to better understand and apply research to everyday practice with Nursing Research: Methods and Critical Appraisal for Evidence-Based Practice, 9th Edition. Written by an all-star team of educators and research experts, this four-time recipient of the American Journal of Nursing’s Book of the Year award is the perfect resource to help ground you in the processes behind nursing research and evidence-based practice. This new ninth edition has been thoroughly updated and refocused to better match the needs of the nurse who will read and apply research rather than conduct research. This new edition also features: new research examples and vignettes; easy-to-use navigation tools; enhanced readability; expanded information on interprofessional collaboration and evidence-based practice; and well-balanced coverage of both qualitative and quantitative research methods. It’s a must-have resource for both undergraduate and graduate nursing programs alike!
- Balanced but distinct coverage of both the qualitative and quantitative approaches to nursing research acquaints you with the processes behind research and evidence-based practice.
- Complete, high-quality research examples, including three sample critiques, demonstrate how to apply the principles outlined in the text to published quantitative and qualitative research studies.
- Research Vignettes introduce you to real-world practitioners of nursing research and help bridge the gaps among clinical research, academia, and clinical practice.
- All-star group of contributors represents a widely respected team of experts in nursing research and evidence-based practice.
- Effective learning aids in every chapter include Key Terms, Learning Outcomes, Helpful Hints, Evidence-Based Practice Tips, Appraising the Evidence, Critiquing Criteria, Critique of a Research Study, Critical Thinking Decision Paths, Critical Thinking Challenges, and Key Points.
PART I. OVERVIEW OF RESEARCH AND EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE
1. Integrating Research, Evidence-Based Practice, and Quality Improvement Processes
2. Research Questions, Hypotheses, and Clinical Questions
3. Gathering and Appraising the Literature
4. Theoretical Frameworks for Research
PART II. PROCESSES AND EVIDENCE RELATED TO QUALITATIVE RESEARCH
5. Introduction to Qualitative Research
6. Qualitative Approaches to Research
7. Appraising Qualitative Research
PART III. PROCESSES AND EVIDENCE RELATED TO QUANTITATIVE RESEARCH
8. Introduction to Quantitative Research
9. Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Designs
10. Nonexperimental Designs
11. Systematic Reviews and Clinical Practice Guidelines
13. Legal and Ethical Issues
14. Data Collection Methods
15. Reliability and Validity
16. Data Analysis: Descriptive and Inferential Statistics
17. Understanding Research Findings
18. Appraising Quantitative Research
PART IV. APPLICATION OF RESEARCH: EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE
19. Strategies and Tools for Developing an Evidence-Based Practice
20. Developing an Evidence-Based Practice
21. Quality Improvement
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2018
- 26th July 2017
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Geri LoBiondo-Wood, PhD, RN, FAAN
Professor, Director of PhD Nursing Program, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, School of Nursing, Nursing Systems and Technology, Houston, Texas
Judith Haber, PhD, RN, FAAN
The Ursula Springer Leadership Professor in Nursing, Rory Meyers College of Nursing, New York University, New York, New York
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.