Equip yourself with the tools to better understand and apply research to your everyday practice with Nursing Research in Canada: Methods, Critical Appraisal, and Utilization, 4th Edition. Written by an all-star team of educators and research experts from the U.S. and Canada, this thoroughly updated text is the perfect resource to help ground you in the processes behind nursing research and evidence-informed practice. The fourth edition has been thoroughly updated and refocused to better match the needs of the nurse who will read and apply research rather than conduct research. This text also features new research examples that reflect the most current Canadian studies, fresh vignettes, easy-to-use navigation tools, enhanced readability, and well-balanced coverage of both qualitative and quantitative research methods. It’s a must-have resource for both undergraduate and graduate nursing students alike!
- Balanced but distinct coverage of both the qualitative and quantitative approaches to nursing research acquaints you with the processes behind research and evidence-informed practice.
- Complete, high-quality research examples, including three sample critiques, demonstrate how to apply the principles outlined in the text to published quantitative and qualitative research studies.
- Research Vignettes introduces you to real-world practitioners of nursing research and help bridge the gaps among clinical research, academia, and clinical practice.
- An updated design improves the legibility of content dense pedagogical features – particularly tables and boxes.
- Effective learning aids in every chapter include Key Terms, Learning Outcomes, ResearchHints, Evidence Informed Practice Tips, Appraising the Evidence, Critiquing Criteria, Critique of a Research Study, Critical Thinking Decision Paths, Critical Thinking Challenges, and Key Points.
Part I: Research Overview
Research Vignette: A Program of Research in Transcultural Nursing
1. The Role of Research in Nursing
2. Theoretical Framework
3. Critical Reading Strategies: Overview of the Research Process
4. Developing Research Questions, Hypotheses, and Clinical Questions
5. Finding and Appraising the Literature
6. Legal and Ethical Issues
Part II: Qualitative Research
Research Vignette: Creating Qualitatively Derived Knowledge for a Practice Discipline
7. Introduction to Qualitative Research
8. Qualitative Approaches to Research
Part III: Quantitative Research
Research Vignette: Tackling the Prevention of Falls Among Older Adults
9. Introduction to Quantitative Research
10. Experimental and Quasiexperimental Designs
11. Non-experimental Designs
Part IV: Processes Related to Research
Research Vignette: Partnering with parents to reduce newborn pain - evidence and implementation
13. Data Collection Methods
14. Rigour in Research
15. Qualitative Data Analysis
16. Quantitative Data Analysis
17. Presenting the Findings
Part V: Critiquing Research
Research Vignette: A Program of Research
18. Critiquing Qualitative Research
19. Critiquing Quantitative Research
Part VI: Application of Research: Evidence-Informed Practice
Research Vignette: From my Ph.D. to her Post-Doctoral studies: Building a Survivorship Cancer Care Program
20. Developing an Evidence-Informed Practice
Research Vignette: Social Support Needs of Older Adults
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby Canada 2018
- 27th November 2017
- Mosby Canada
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Geri LoBiondo-Wood, PhD, RN, FAAN
Professor, Director of PhD Nursing Program, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, School of Nursing, Nursing Systems and Technology, Houston, Texas
Judith Haber, PhD, RN, FAAN
The Ursula Springer Leadership Professor in Nursing, Rory Meyers College of Nursing, New York University, New York, New York
Mina D. Singh, RN, PhD
Associate Director, Research, Faculty of Health - Nursing Professor, School of Nursing, York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.