Introduction. Part 1 – Clinical Practice. Problem solving. Taking a history. Disorders of the skin. The head and neck. The nervous system. Vision and the eye. The cardiovascular system. The respiratory system. The abdomen. The male reproductive system. The female reproductive system. The musculoskeletal system. Basic principles of diagnostic radiology. The assessment of child health: setting the context. Promoting health. Assessment and management of the patient with chronic health problems. The patient as partner in care. Therapeutic communication and the nurse practitioner. Part 2 – Professional and legal issues. Development of the nurse practitioner role. The professional and legal framework for the nurse practitioner. Working with others: the nurse practitioner and role boundaries in primary health care. Changing practice: the negotiated order perspective and the development of the nurse practitioner role.
This title is directed primarily to health care professionals outside the United States. it is a comprehensive text for nurse practitioners that integrates the required clinical skills with professional and theoretical issues in one book. It uses a systems approach to cover the most frequently presenting problems that the nurse practitioner will encounter. The scope of the book then widens to include psychological and emotional problems as well as the special needs of children and those patients with chronic health problems. Using a practical approach the content is based on current best evidence. The book has been derived from the editors' experience as a course team running the RCN Institute BSc Nurse Practitioner course in Lancaster and Carlisle.
- Comprehensive coverage of the new clinical skills that NPs will need in their expanding roles will give them confidence and enable them to pass their courses
- Highly illustrated with clear line drawings to aid understanding and learning
- Subject experts have contributed to various chapters to ensure that best practice is given throughout
- End of chapter summaries aid revision
- Reference lists facilitate further study
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2006
- 2nd December 2005
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Reader in Nursing, St Martin's College, Lancaster & Carlisle, UK