Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Nuclear Power provides a concise, up-to-date, accessible guide to the most controversial form of power generation. The author includes a comprehensive description of the various methods for generating nuclear power and evaluates the political, strategic, environmental, economic, and emotional factors involved in each method.
The analysis of real-life, tragic examples, such as the accidents in Chernobyl and Fukushima help the reader understand the associated risks and dangers of this method of power generation and the radioactive waste it creates. This is a valuable and insightful read for those involved in nuclear power, including power plant designers and engineers, as well as those involved in the protection of society and the environment.
- Discusses various nuclear reactor designs and methods for generating this type of power
- Evaluates the political, strategic, environmental, economic, and emotional factors involved in each technology
- Explores the environmental and economic effects of nuclear power generation through various real-life tragedies, such as the accidents in Chernobyl and Fukushima
The series is targeted at Power generation planners, electrical engineers, students and lecturers of Electrical Engineering and Energy, researchers, academics and the technical community involved in the development and implementation of power generation technologies, and power related engineering disciplines
- Chapter 1. An Introduction to Nuclear Power
- The History of Nuclear Power
- Global Electricity Production From Nuclear Power
- Chapter 2. Nuclear Fuel and the Nuclear Resource
- The Nuclear Fuel Cycle
- Global Uranium Resources
- Uranium Production and Consumption
- Chapter 3. The Basics of Nuclear Power
- Nuclear Reactions
- Nuclear Fission
- Controlled Nuclear Reaction
- Breeder Reactions
- Nuclear Power Plant Conventional Island Components
- Chapter 4. Water-Cooled Reactors
- Water-Cooled Designs
- The Boiling Water Reactor
- The Pressurized Water Reactor
- The Pressurized Heavy Water Reactor
- The VVER Reactor
- The RBMK Reactor
- Chapter 5. Gas-Cooled Reactors
- The Magnox Reactor
- The UNGG Reactor
- The Advanced Gas-Cooled Reactor
- Heavy Water Gas-Cooled Reactors
- Chapter 6. Breeder Reactors
- Plutonium Breeder Reactors
- Fast Neutron Reactor Projects, Past and Present
- Slow Neutron Breeder Reactors
- Chapter 7. Advanced Reactor Design and Small Modular Reactors
- Third-Generation Reactors
- Fourth-Generation Reactor Designs and Concepts
- Small Modular Reactors
- Chapter 8. Nuclear Fission
- Fusion Basics
- Magnetic Confinement
- Inertial Confinement
- Tritium Production
- Chapter 9. The Environment Effects of Nuclear Power
- Nuclear Power and Global Warming
- Radioactive Waste
- Waste Categories
- Normal Power Plant Environmental Effects
- Chapter 10. The Cost of Electricity From Nuclear Power Stations
- Levelized Cost of Energy Model
- Capital Cost
- The LCOE From a Nuclear Power Station
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2016
- 15th October 2016
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Paul Breeze is a journalist and freelance science and technology writer and consultant in the United Kingdom. He has specialised in power generation technology for the past 30 years. In addition to writing Power Generation Technologies, Second Edition, he has contributed to journals and newspapers such as The Financial Times and The Economist and has written a range of technical management reports covering all the aspects of power generation, transmission and distribution.
Freelance Science and Technology Writer/Consultant, UK
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.