Using a problem-solving approach based on clinical evidence, Neurological Rehabilitation, 6th Edition covers the therapeutic management of people with functional movement limitations and quality of life issues following a neurological event. It reviews basic theory and covers the latest screening and diagnostic tests, new treatments, and interventions commonly used in today's clinical practice. This edition includes the latest advances in neuroscience, adding new chapters on neuroimaging and clinical tools such as virtual reality, robotics, and gaming. Written by respected clinician and physical therapy expert Darcy Umphred, this classic neurology text provides problem-solving strategies that are key to individualized, effective care.
- UNIQUE! Emerging topics are covered in detail, including chapters such as Movement Development Across the Lifespan, Health and Wellness: The Beginning of the Paradigm, Documentation, and Cardiopulmonary Interactions.
- UNIQUE! A section on neurological problems accompanying specific system problems includes hot topics such as poor vision, pelvic floor dysfunction, and pain.
- A problem-solving approach helps you apply your knowledge to examinations, evaluations, prognoses, and intervention strategies.
- Evidence-based research sets up best practices, covering topics such as the theory of neurologic rehabilitation, screening and diagnostic tests, treatments and interventions, and the patient's psychosocial concerns Information.
- Case studies use real-world examples to promote problem-solving skills.
- Non-traditional approaches to neurological interventions in the Alternative and Complementary Therapies chapter include the movement approach, energy approach, and physical body system approaches therapies.
- Terminology adheres to the best practices of the APTA as well as other leading physical therapy organizations, following The Guide to Physical Therapy Practice, the Nagi model, and the ICF World Health Model of patient empowerment.
Section 1: Foundations for Clinical Practice in Neurological Rehabilitation
1. Foundation for Clinical Practice in Neurological Rehabilitation
2. Health & Wellness in Rehabilitation
3. Motor Development Across the Life Span
4. Theories of Motor Control, Motor Learning, and Neuroplasticity
5. Limbic System Function and its Influence Over Motor Control and Learning
6. Psychosocial Adaptation and Adjustment to Nervous System Dysfunction
7. Medical Screening by the Therapist
8. Examination of Impairment, Activities, and Participation
9. Interventions in Neurological Rehabilitation
10. Documentation and Payment Systems for Rehabilitation Services
Section 2: Rehabilitation Management of Clients with Neurologic System Pathology
11. Neurodevelopmental disabilities and High Risk Infants
12. Cerebral Palsy: Management of Clinical Problems
13. Genetic Disorders of the Nervous System: A Pediatric Perspective
14. Learning Disabilities
15. Congenital Spinal Cord Injury
16. Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury
17. Neuromuscular Diseases
18. Neurovascular Entrapment Syndromes: Beyond the Central Nervous System
19. Multiple Sclerosis
20. Basal Ganglia System Dysfunction: Disorders of Posture and Movement
21. Cerebellar Dysfunction: Movement Disorders and Management
22. Vestibular System Disorders and Balance Dysfunction
23. Stroke and Hemiplegia
24. Traumatic Brain Injury
25. Brain Tumors
26. Inflammatory and Infections Disorders of the Brain
27. Dementia and Disorder of Cognition
Section 3: Examination and Intervention for Improved Outcomes in Clients with Nervous System Dysfunction
28. Visual System and Perceptual Dysfunction: Examination and Intervention
29. Urinary System Dysfunction and Incontinence: Examination and Intervention
30. Cardiovascular and Pulmonary System Health in Populations with Nervous System Disorders
31. Immune System Disorder that Affect the Nervous System (Chronic Fatigue, HIV, RSD
32. Pain Management
33. Electrical Diagnostics and Therapeutic Interventions
34. Orthotics: Evaluation and Prescription
35. Management of Chronic Impairments in Clients with Nervous System Disorders
36. Pharmacological Intervention Affecting Neurological Rehabilitation
37. Neuroimaging NEW!
38. Virtual Reality, Robotics and Gaming: Emerging Clinical Practice Tools NEW!
39. Alternative and Complementary Therapies in Neurological Rehabilitation
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2013
- 14th August 2012
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Emeritus Professor and Past Chair, Department of Physical Therapy, School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, University of the Pacific, Stockton, CA, USA