Inflammation is a central mechanism in many neurological diseases, including stroke, multiple sclerosis, brain trauma as well as meningitis and contributes to the generation of pain. We are now beginning to understand the impact of the immune system on different nervous system functions and diseases, ranging from damage through tolerance to modulation and repair.
This book discusses some of the more common neuro-inflammatory diseases. Topics covered include multiple sclerosis, optic neuritis and Susac syndrome.
1. Multiple Sclerosis
2. Optic neuritis
3. Transverse myelitis
4. Ischemic demyelination
5. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis
7. Balo concentric sclerosis
8. Neuromyelitis optica (Devic’s disease)
9. Necrotizing myelopathy
10. Susac syndrome
11. Central nervous system vasculitis
12. Neuropsychiatric SLE
13. Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy
14. Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome
15. Current treatments for multiple sclerosis