Mastering the art of manual muscle and sensory testing is the first step on your path to becoming a physical therapist (PT). This easy-to-follow, logically organized resource includes an overview of muscle strength assessment and precise anatomic testing techniques for upper extremities, lower extremities, and head, neck, and trunk; functional muscle tests; tests for mental status, cranial nerves, and superficial reflexes; and use of observational gait analysis as a screening tool.
Photographs of testing procedures, line drawings of various innervations, and video clips showing manual muscle testing procedures augment your understanding of this important skill area.
- Photographs and illustrations demonstrate various techniques to help you better understand positioning, stabilization, and common substitutions.
- Chapters follow a logical progression from muscle testing to sensory testing to gait assessment, making the learning process clear.
- Chapters on dynamometry, sensory examination, neurologic examination, and gait provide you with additional need-to-know information on these key topics.
- Introduction to Muscle Strength Testing
2. Techniques of Manual Muscle Testing: Upper Extremity
3. Techniques of Manual Muscle Testing: Head, Neck, and Trunk
4. Techniques of Manual Muscle Testing: Lower Extremity
5. Techniques of Functional Muscle Testing
6. Techniques of Pediatric Muscle Testing
7. Hand-held Dynamometry for Muscle Testing
8. Techniques of the Sensory Examination
9. Techniques of the Remainder of the Neurologic Examination: Coordination, Mental Status, Cranial Nerves, and Superficial Reflexes
10. Observational Gait Analysis as a Screening Tool
Appendix A: Average Joint Ranges of Motion
Appendix B: Muscle Innervations by Spinal Cord Level
Appendix C: Muscle Innervations by Peripheral Nerve
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2020
- 21st April 2020
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Dean, College of Health and Behavioral Sciences University of Central Arkansas
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.