Today’s nursing students are busier and more pressed for time than ever. The 5th edition of Health Assessment for Nursing Practice by Susan Wilson and Jean Giddens is designed to help you make the most of your study time with a user-friendly approach and a complete collection of flexible, efficient learning tools. It's everything you need to master the core assessment skills essential for clinical practice!
- Straightforward, easy-to-understand coverage gives you the knowledge and confidence you need to perform a complete physical examination.
- Clear differentiation between basic skills and advanced procedures or special circumstances helps you pinpoint essential content.
- Unique, two-column format provides you with a visual distinction between normal and abnormal findings and techniques.
- Vivid color photos walk you step by step through key skills and procedures.
- UNIQUE! Concept Overview sections present core concepts in the context of health assessment with discussions on pain, oxygenation, perfusion, tissue integrity, motion, sensory perception, metabolism, and intracranial regulation.
- UNIQUE! Clinical Reasoning: Thinking Like a Nurse boxes explain the thought process of an experienced nurse making a clinical decision to help you gain perspective on clinical judgment and the decision-making process.
- UNIQUE! Patients with Situational Variations sections address special circumstances or needs for patients in wheelchairs or other limitations and exam variations.
- NCLEX examination-style review questions at the end of each chapter help you assess your understanding of the content you need to know to pass the exam.
I. Foundations for Health Assessment
1. Importance of Health Assessment
2. Interviewing Patients to Obtain a Health History
3. Techniques and Equipment for Physical Assessment
4. General Inspection and Measurement of Vital Signs
5. Ethnic, Cultural, and Spiritual Considerations
6. Pain Assessment
7. Mental Health and Abusive Behavior Assessment
8. Nutritional Assessment
II. Health Assessment of the Adult
9. Skin, Hair, and Nails
10. Head, Eyes, Ears, Nose, and Throat
11. Lungs and Respiratory System
12. Heart and Peripheral Vascular System
13. Abdomen and Gastrointestinal System
14. Musculoskeletal System
15. Neurologic System
16. Breasts and Axillae
17. Reproductive System and the Perineum
III. Health Assessment Across the Life Span
18. Developmental Assessment Throughout the Life Span
19. Assessment of the Infant, Child, and Adolescent
20. Assessment of the Pregnant Patient
21. Assessment of the Older Adult
IV. Synthesis and Application of Health Assessment
22. Conducting a Head-to-Toe Examination
23. Documenting the Head-to-Toe Health Assessment
24. Adapting Health Assessment to an Ill Patient
A. Health History Using Functional Health Patterns
B. Conversion Tables
D. Answer Key
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Emeritus Associate Professor, Harris College of Nursing and Health Sciences, Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, Texas
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Executive Nurse Fellow, Dean and Professor, School of Nursing, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia