Latest extensive revisions to a well-established title
New chapters on electric propulsion and vehicle safety.
Table of Contents
- PART ONE - THE ENGINE: General principles of heat engines; Engine balance; Constructional details of the engine; Six-, eight-, and twelve-cylinder engines; Sleeve valve and special engines; Diesel injection equipment and systems; Distributor type injection pumps; Some representative diesel engines; The two-stroke engine; Fundamentals of carburation; Some representative carburettors; Petrol injection systems; Induction manifold design; Emission control; Fuel pumps and engine intake air conditioning; Turbocharging and supercharging; Fuels and their combustion; Friction, lubricants and lubrication; Engine cooling; Electric propulsion; Alternative power units; Bearings, gearing, chains and belt drives.
PART TWO - TRANSMISSION: Transmission requirements; Clutches; Why is a gearbox necessary; Constructional arrangements of gearboxes, Epicyclic and pre-selector gearboxes; Torque converters and automatic gearboxes; Semi-automatic gearboxes and continuously variable transmissions; Universal joints and driving steered wheels; The differential; The back axle; Axle constructions; The double reduction axle.
PART THREE - THE CARRIAGE UNIT - The basic structure; Vehicle safety; Brakes; Servo, power operated and regenerative braking systems; Anti-lock brakes and traction control; Front axle and steering mechanism; Suspension principles; Suspension systems; Six-wheel vehicles.
- No. of pages: 1214
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Butterworth-Heinemann 2000
- Published: December 18, 2000
- Imprint: Butterworth-Heinemann
- eBook ISBN: 9780080537016
About the Authors
T. K. Garrett
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Motor Vehicle"