- Over 200 detailed line drawings and photos demonstrate basic and advanced stretching techniques.
- Atlas format helps you quickly and easily find the stretching technique and pertinent information you need.
- Coverage of basic information on stretching, flexibility, and range of motion gives you just the right amount of background information to help you understand the body mechanics involved in stretching techniques.
- Spotlight boxes highlight key concepts so you can check and reinforce facts at a glance.
- Glossary of stretching terms helps you to understand the language of the body in terms of stretching.
- List of references helps you obtain more detailed information when necessary.
1. Stretching and Flexibility
• Stretching and flexibility are defined
• Principles behind stretching and flexibility
• Purpose and benefits of stretching
• Explanation of how stretches can be reasoned out instead of memorized
• Assessments to determine if stretching would be beneficial
• Identifying target muscles/tissues
2. Basic Stretching Techniques
• Relationship between a line of tension and stretching
• Safe and effective stretching methods
• Direct tissue stretching
• Longitudinal and cross directional direct tissue stretching
• Difference between active and passive stretching
• Static stretching
• Dynamic stretching
3. Advanced Stretching Techniques
• Pin and stretch
• Contract relax
• Contract relax agonist contract (CRAC)
• Combined stretching methods for increased effect
4. Stretching for Self-Care
• Principles of Stretching for self-care