A comprehensive overview of the equipment and techniques used by respiratory therapists to treat cardiopulmonary dysfunction, Mosby’s Respiratory Care Equipment, 9th edition provides a "how-to" approach that moves beyond technical descriptions of machinery. Learn to identify equipment, understand how it works, and apply your knowledge to clinical practice. The 9th edition includes streamlined information on the latest ventilators, a new chapter on simulation learning devices, and additional, easy-to-access content on the Evolve site.
- Unique! List of Ventilators organized by application area and manufacturer make review and research quick and easy.
- Unique! Clinical Approach provides you with a "how-to" approach to identifying equipment, understanding how it works, and applying the information in clinical practice.
- Excerpts of Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPGs) give you important information regarding indications/contraindications, hazards and complications, assessment of need, assessment of outcome, and monitoring.
- Unique! Sleep Diagnostics chapter discusses sleep and the impact of sleep disorders on cardiopulmonary function.
- Unique! Infection Control chapter provides a review of this critical topic that RTs must understand to prevent health care-associated infections
- Unique! Cardiovascular Diagnostics chapter provides a review in an area where RTs are treating an increasing number of cardiovascular cases.
- NBRC-style Self-Assessment Questions at the end of every chapter prepares you for credentialing exams.
- Unique! Clinical Scenario boxes (formerly Clinical Rounds) allow you to apply material learned to a clinical setting.
- Unique! Historical Notes boxes present educational and/or clinically relevant and valuable historical information of respiratory care equipment.
Module 1: INTRODUCTION to BASIC RESPIRATORY SCIENCE
- Basic Physics for the Respiratory Therapist
- Principles of Infection Control
- Manufacture, Storage, and Transport of Medical Gases
- Administering Medical Gases: Regulators, Flowmeters, and Controlling Devices
- Airway Management Devices and ACLS
- Humidity and Aerosol Therapy
- Lung Expansion Therapy Devices
- Assessment of Pulmonary Function
- Assessment of Cardiovascular Function
- Blood Gas Monitoring
- Sleep Diagnostics
- Introduction to Ventilators
- Mechanical Ventilators: General-Use Devices
- Infant/Pediatric Ventilators
- Home-Care, Transport Devices, Alternative Devices
Module 2: MEDICAL GASES
Module 3: AIRWAY MANAGEMENT
Module 4: ASSESSMENT
Module 5: CRITICAL CARE AND EXTENDED CARE DEVICES
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2014
- 29th July 2013
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Jim Cairo is the Dean of the School of Allied Health Professions, and Professor of Cardiopulmonary Science, Physiology and Anesthesiology at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in New Orleans, Louisiana. He has been teaching for over 30 years and is also the author of Elsevier’s Pilbeam’s Mechanical Ventilation, 7e, which is publishing in Fall 2019.
Dean of the School of Allied Health Professions, Professor of Cardiopulmonary Science, Physiology, and Anesthesiology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.