This portable, student-friendly reference provides information on 50 drug classifications and more than 4,000 individual generic and trade name drugs — including 20 new FDA-approved drugs. Drug monographs are organized alphabetically for quick reference, and important data on interactions and therapeutic outcomes is also included to help prevent errors. In all, this full-color reference equips you with all the information you could possibly need to master safe drug administration in a wide variety of scenarios.
- Monographs organized alphabetically by name allow fast retrieval of important information.
- Comprehensive drug monographs throughout the text contain:
- Generic names
- Rx or OTC designations
- U.S. and Canadian trade names
- Functional and chemical classifications
- Pregnancy category
- Controlled-substance schedule
- Do-not-confuse drugs
- Therapeutic outcomes
- Unlabeled uses
- Dosages and routes
- Available forms
- Adverse effects
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics
- Drug/herb, drug/food, and lab test interactions
- Nursing considerations
- Treatment of overdose
- Concise, practice-oriented nursing considerations include assessment, implementation, patient/family education, and evaluation.
- IV drug information is highlighted in one easy-to-find place, under the Implementation heading, and includes special considerations, Y-site, syringe, and additive compatibilities.
- High alerts drugs are identified by those that pose the greatest risk for patient harm if administered incorrectly.
- Canadian brand names are designated by a maple leaf icon.
- Nursing alert icons identify considerations that require special attention.
- Common and life-threatening side effects are highlighted for easy identification.
- Do Not Confuse headings help you avoid administering the wrong drugs.
- Tall Man lettering is applied to easily confused drug names, as recommended by the FDA.
- Therapeutic Outcome headings in monographs encourage critical thinking and provide a focus for the plan of care.
- Extensive interactions information including lab test interferences is included.
- Flexible, water-resistant cover provides durability in the clinical setting.
- Safe Medication Administration Guide in the back of the book includes a nomogram for calculation of body surface area.
- Drug Categories section features nursing diagnoses, generic drugs, and highlighted key drugs in each category.
- 13 illustrations and an atlas of medication administration show mechanisms or sites of action for select drug classes.
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics in chart form offer easy access to information.
Visual Guide to Using this Book (inside front cover)
Recommended Childhood and Adolescent Immunization Schedule for the United States
Individual Drug Monographs
A. Selected New Drugs
B. Opthalmic, Nasal, Topical, and Otic Products
C. Vaccines and Toxoids
D. Abbreviations and Pregnancy Categories
E. Immunization Schedules
F. Standard Precautions
G. Mechanism and Sites of Action Color Illustrations
H. Photo Atlas of Drug Administration
Safe Medication Administration Guide
Nomogram for Calculation of Body Surface Area
Formulas for Drug Calculations
Syringe Compatibility Chart (inside back cover)
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2015
- 11th July 2014
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Consultant, Littleton, CO; Former Nursing Faculty, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM; El Paso Community College, El Paso, TX