- Understand the scientific basis and rationale of particular monitoring techniques and how they can be used to assess neuro-ICU patients.
- Make optimal use of the most advanced technology, including transcranial Doppler sonography, transcranial color-coded sonography, measurements of jugular venous oxygen saturation, near-infrared spectroscopy, brain electrical monitoring techniques, and intracerebral microdialysis and techniques based on imaging.
- Apply multimodal monitoring for a more accurate view of brain function, and utilize the latest computer systems to integrate data at the bedside.
- Access practical information on basic principles, such as quality assurance, ethics, and ICU design.
- Seamlessly search the full text of Monitoring in Neurocritical Care online at www.expertconsult.com.
Section I Background XXX 1 Principles of Cerebral Metabolism and
Blood Flow XXXBrad E. Zacharia and E. Sander Connolly, Jr.
2 Why Monitor and Principles of
Neurocritical Care XXXSyed T. Arshad and Jose I. Suarez
3 Designing the Neurocritical Care Unit for Better Patient Care XXXMahbub Rashid, Craig Zimring, and Owen B. Samuels
4 Informatics Infrastructure for the Neurocritical
Care Unit XXXJ. Michael Schmidt, David K. Vawdrey, and Richard S. Moberg
5 Nursing and Education XXXDaiWai M. Olson
6 Quality Assessment in the Neurocritical
Care Unit XXXAnoma Nellore, Peter D. le Roux, and David A. Horowitz
7 Brain Monitoring Issues in Pediatrics XXXAnthony A. Figaji
8 Bioethics and the Family XXXPatricia D. Scripko and David M. Greer
9 Monitors During Anesthesia: Effects of Anesthetic Agents on Monitors XXXJonathan McEwen, K.T. Henrik Huttunen, and Arthur M. Lam
Section II Clinical and Laboratory Assessment XXX10 Clinical Assessment in the Neurocritical
Care Unit XXXRamani Balu, John A. Detre, and Joshua M. Levine
11 Pain, Sedation, and Delirium in Critical Illness XXXKyla P. Terhune, E. Wesley Ely, and Pratik P. Pandharipande
12 Outcome Scales and Neuropsychological Outcome XXXRosette C. Biester
13 Brain Death XXXFarzana Tariq and Peter M. Black
14 Glucose and Nutrition XXXSarice L. Bassin and Thomas P. Bleck
15 Hematology and Coagulation XXXMonisha A. Kumar
16 Monitoring Inflammation XXXAlejandro M. Spiotta, Alan Siu, and J. Javier Provencio
17 Infection XXXBarnett R. Nathan and John J. Stern
18 Biomarkers XXXRobert G. Siman
19 Volume Status and Cardiac Function XXXJose L. Pascual, Jiri Horak, Vicente H. Gracias, and
Patrick J. Neligan
20 Ventilation and Pulmonary Function XXXMaurizio Cereda and Patrick J. Neligan
21 Endocrine Evaluation XXXMatthew R. Sanborn a