- Comprehensive coverage makes this your single, start-to-finish source for dental assisting training.
- A highly approachable writing style presents the latest information and procedures in a way that makes it easy to understand and apply the material.
- Concise chapters presented within short parts move from profession basics and sciences to infection control, safety, clinical dentistry, radiography, materials, specialty dental practice, and dental office administration.
- Superb, full-color illustrations and photographs show procedures, equipment, and instruments.
- Illustrated, step-by-step procedures show the skills that dental assistants must master, detailing for each the goal, equipment and supplies needed, chronological steps, and rationales.
- Expanded Functions procedures boxes describe special dental assisting procedures allowed only in certain states.
- Procedure icons alert you to issues relating to core procedures, e.g., that you should make notes in the patient's record, don personal protective equipment, or watch for moisture contamination.
- Key terms are accompanied by phonetic pronunciations, highlighted within the text, and defined in boxes on the same or facing page.
- Critical thinking questions end each chapter with mini-case scenarios and application-style questions.
- Learning and performance outcomes in each chapter set goals for what you will accomplish and also serve as checkpoints for comprehension, skills mastery, and study tools for exam preparation.
- Summary tables and boxes make it easy to review key concepts and procedures.
- Recall boxes appear after sections of text and include questions to ensure that you unders
1. History of Dentistry
2. The Professional Dental Assistant
3. The Dental Healthcare Team
4. Dental Ethics
5. Dentistry and the Law
PART 2: Sciences in Dentistry
6. General Anatomy
7. General Physiology
8. Oral Embryology and Histology
9. Head and Neck Anatomy
10. Landmarks of the Face and Oral Cavity
11. Overview of the Dentitions
12. Tooth Morphology
PART 3: Oral Health and Prevention of Dental Disease
13. Dental Caries
14. Periodontal Disease
15. Preventive Dentistry
17. Oral Pathology
PART 4: Infection Prevention in Dentistry
19. Disease Transmission and Infection Prevention
20. Principles and Techniques of Disinfection
21. Principles and Techniques of Instrument Processing and Sterilization
PART 5: Occupational Health and Safety
22. Regulatory and Advisory Agencies
23. Chemical and Waste Management
24. Dental Unit Waterlines
PART 6: Patient Information and Assessment
26. The Patient Record
27. Vital Signs
28. Oral Diagnosis and Treatment Planning
29. The Special Needs and Medically Compromised Patient
30. Principles of Pharmacology
31. Assisting in a Medical Emergency
PART 7: Foundation of Clinical Dentistry
32. The Dental Office
33. Delivering Dental Care
34. Dental Hand Instruments
35. Dental Handpieces and Accessories
36. Moisture Control
37. Anesthesia and Pain Control
PART 8: Radiographic Imaging
38. Foundations of Radiography, Radiographic Equipment, and Radiologic Safety
39. Dental Imaging, Dental Film, and Processing Radiographs
40. Legal Issues, Quality Assurance, and Infection Prevention
41. Intraoral Imaging
42. Extraoral Imaging
PART 9: Dental Materials