Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Part I Fundamentals of microfluidic technologies for biomedical applications
1. Materials and methods for the microfabrication of microfluidic biomedical devices
2. Surface coatings for microfluidic-based biomedical devices
3. Actuation mechanisms for microfluidic biomedical devices
4. Droplet Microfluidics for biomedical devices
Part II Applications of microfluidic devices for drug delivery and discovery
5. Controlled drug deliver using microfluidic devices
6. Microneedles for drug delivery and monitoring
7. Microfluidic devices for drug discovery and analysis
Part III Applications of microfluidic devices for cellar analysis and tissue engineering
8. Microfluidic devices for cell manipulation (review type)
9. Microfluidic devices for single cell trapping and automated micro-robotic injection (specific research topic)
10. Microfluidic devices for developing tissue scaffolds
11. Microfluidic devices for stem cell analysis
12. 3D printing and applications
Part IV Applications of microfluidic devices in diagnostic Sensing
13. Development of immunoassays for protein analysis
14. Integrated microfluidic systems for genetic analysis
15. Low-cost assays in paper-based microfluidic biomedical devices
16. Microfluidic devices for viral detection
17. Microfluidics for monitoring and imaging pancreatic islet and betal-cells for human transplant
Microfluidic Devices for Biomedical Applications, Second Edition provides updated coverage on the fundamentals of microfluidics, while also exploring a wide range of medical applications. Chapters review materials and methods, microfluidic actuation mechanisms, recent research on droplet microfluidics, applications in drug discovery and controlled-delivery, including micro needles, consider applications of microfluidic devices in cellular analysis and manipulation, tissue engineering and their role in developing tissue scaffolds, and cover the applications of microfluidic devices in diagnostic sensing, including genetic analysis, low-cost bioassays, viral detection, and radio chemical synthesis.
This book is an essential reference for medical device manufacturers, scientists and researchers concerned with microfluidics in the field of biomedical applications and life-science industries.
- Discusses the fundamentals of microfluidics or lab-on-a-chip (LOC) and explores a wide range of medical applications
- Considers materials and methods for microfabrication, microfluidic actuation mechanisms and digital microfluidic technologies
- Details applications of microfluidic devices in cellular analysis and manipulation, tissue engineering and its role in developing tissue scaffolds, and stem cell engineering
Medical device manufacturers, scientists, and researchers concerned with microfluidics in the field of drug delivery, cell manipulation, tissue engineering and diagnostics/sensing; Industrial and academic researchers and developers in the life sciences and engineering fields who aim to use microengineering technologies to develop advanced techniques and microdevices for advancements in healthcare and medical diagnostics
- No. of pages:
- © Woodhead Publishing 2021
- 1st July 2021
- Woodhead Publishing
- Hardcover ISBN:
XiuJun (James) Li, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor with early tenure in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Biomedical Engineering, and Border Biomedical Research Center at University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP), USA. After he obtained his Ph.D. degree in microfluidic lab-on-a-chip bioanalysis from Simon Fraser University (SFU) in Canada in 2008, he pursued his postdoctoral research with Prof. Richard Mathies at University of California Berkeley and Prof. George Whitesides at Harvard University. Dr. Li’s current research interest is centered on the development of innovative microfluidic lab-on-a-chip and nanotechnology for bioanalysis, environmental, biomaterial, and biomedical engineering applications, including but not limited to low-cost diagnosis, nano-biosensing, tissue engineering, and single-cell analysis. He has coauthored about 90 publications in high-impact journals (such as Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev, Appl. Catal. B-Environ, Anal. Chem., Lab Chip, Biosens. Bioelectron.) and 18 patents. He published a book of “Microfluidic Devices for Biomedical Applications” from Elsevier in 2013. He is an Advisory Board member of Lab on a Chip and Analyst, and an editor of 6 journals including Scientific Reports from the Nature publishing group, Micromachines, etc. He is the recipient of the “Bioanalysis Young Investigator Award” in 2014, UT STARS Award in 2012, NSERC Postdoctoral Fellow Award (2009), and so on. For more information, please visit http://li.utep.edu.
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Environmental Science and Engineering, Border Biomedical Research Center, University of Texas at El Paso
Yu Zhou, PhD, is a Research Scientist in the Department of Research and Development at ABS Global Inc., USA. Dr Zhou received his Ph.D. degree in mechanical engineering from University of Illinois at Chicago in 2010. After graduation, he joined ABS Global, the world-leading genetics provider company as a key researcher and has been working on the development of a high-throughput microfluidic cytometry for biological cell detection and manipulation. He obtained extensive experience in design and fabrication of silicon-based microsystems and disposal plastic microfluidic chips, precision fluid delivery, and microfluidics-based single cell separation and analysis. He is a member of ASME and serves on the advisory editorial board for several technical journals including Microsystem Technologies, and Journal of Mechanical Engineering Research (Canada) since 2011.
Department of R&D at ABS Global Inc., USA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.