Microbiology for the Healthcare Professional, 3rd Edition offers an excellent foundation for understanding the spread, treatment, and prevention of infectious disease — critical knowledge for today’s healthcare professional. This straightforward introductory text makes microbiology approachable and easy to learn, presenting just the right level of information and detail to help you comprehend future course material and apply concepts to your new career.
- UNIQUE! Why You Need to Know and Life Application boxes make the content more relevant by putting material in a real-world context, helping you understand how concepts apply to everyday situations.
- UNIQUE! Medical Highlights boxes in each chapter provide anecdotal information about a pathological condition mentioned in the chapter, with illustrations and updates on new trends and information specific to the healthcare industry.
- UNIQUE! Health Care Application tables in each chapter provide quick access to focused information on pathogens as they relate to the subject matter of the chapter, including symptoms, causes, and treatments for a given condition/pathogen when applicable.
- Timesaving focus on just the necessary information provides the ideal level of introductory microbiology coverage.
- Chapter outlines and key terms for every chapter enable more efficient learning.
- Learning objectives clarify chapter goals and guide you through the content.
- Twenty review questions at the end of each chapter test your retention and help you identify areas requiring further study.
Section 1: Basic Science
- Scope of Microbiology
- Chemistry of Life
- Cell Structure and Function
- Bacteria and Archaea
- Eukaryotic Microorganisms
- Physical and Chemical Methods of Control
- Microbiological Laboratory Techniques
- Microbiological Laboratory Safety Issues
- Antimicrobial Drugs
- Infection and Disease
- The Immune Response and Lymphatic System
- Infections of the Integumentary System, Soft Tissue and Musculoskeletal System
- Infections of the Respiratory System
- Infections of the Gastrointestinal System
- Infections of the Nervous System and Sensory Structures
- Infections of the Cardiovascular and Circulatory Systems
- Infections of the Urinary System
- Infections of the Reproductive System
- Sexually Transmitted Infections/Diseases
- Human Age and Infections
- Microorganisms in the Environment and Effects on Human Health
- Emerging Infectious Diseases
Section 2: Tools for Study and Control of Microorganisms
Section 3: Infection, Disease and Defense
Section 4: Effects on Specific Body Systems
Section 5: Factors Contributing to the Effects of Microorganisms on Human Health
Appendix A: Bergey’s Manual of Systematic Bacteriology
Appendix B: Medically Significant Microorganisms by Body Systems
Appendix C: Bibliography
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2021
- 1st August 2021
- Paperback ISBN:
Karin C. VanMeter, PhD is a lecturer in the Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Ames, Iowa.
Lecturer, Iowa State University, Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Ames, Iowa
Robert J. Hubert, BS is a laboratory coordinator at Iowa State University, Department of Animal Sciences, Ames, Iowa.
Laboratory Coordinator, Iowa State University, Department of Animal Sciences, Ames, Iowa.
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.