Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Microalgae: Cultivation, Recovery of Compounds and Applications supports the scientific community, professionals and enterprises that aspire to develop industrial and commercialized applications of microalgae cultivation. Topics covered include conventional and emerging cultivation and harvesting techniques of microalgae, design, transport phenomena models of microalgae growth in photobioreactors, and the catalytic conversion of microalgae. A significant focus of the book illustrates how marine algae can increase sustainability in industries like food, agriculture, biofuel and bioprocessing, among others.
This book is a complete reference for food scientists, technologists and engineers working in the bioresource technology field. It will be of particular interest to academics and professionals working in the food industry, food processing, chemical engineering and biotechnology.
- Explores emerging technologies for the clean recovery of antioxidants from microalgae
- Includes edible oil and biofuels production, functional food, cosmetics and animal feed applications
- Discusses microalgae use in sustainable agriculture and wastewater treatment
- Considers the techno-economic aspects of microalgae processing for biofuel, chemicals, pharmaceuticals and bioplastics
Scientists, researchers, R&D managers and professionals in biology and marine biology; those working in processing and bioresource technologies; product developers; professionals working in the food industry, chemical engineering, sustainability
1. Cultivation techniques
2. Photobioreactor design for microalgae production
3. Transport phenomena used to understand the behavior of microalgae
4. Edible oil production from microalgae
5. Catalytic conversion of microalgae oil to green hydrocarbon
6. Biofuel production
7. Emerging technologies for the clean recovery of antioxidants from algae
8. Food applications
9. Microalgae as feed ingredients for livestock production and aquaculture
10. Cosmetic applications
11. Microalgal Applications towards Agricultural Sustainability-Recent Trends and Future Prospects
12. Microalgae biofilms for the treatment of wastewater
13. Techno-economic assessment of an integrated biorefinery from microalgae
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2020
- 5th October 2020
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Charis M. Galanakis is a multidisciplinary scientist in agricultural sciences as well as food and environmental science, technology, and sustainability, with experience in both industry and academia. He is the research and innovation director of Galanakis Laboratories in Chania, Greece, an adjunct professor of King Saud University in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and the director of Food Waste Recovery Group (SIG5) of ISEKI Food Association in Vienna, Austria. He pioneered the new discipline of food waste recovery and has established the most prominent innovation network in the field. He also serves as a senior consultant for the food industry and expert evaluator for international and regional funded programs and proposals. He is an editorial board member of Food and Bioproducts Processing, Food Research International, and Foods, has edited over 45 books, and has published hundreds of research articles, reviews, monographs, chapters, and conference proceedings.
Galanakis Laboratories, Chania, Greece
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.