Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Methods of Numerical Approximation is based on lectures delivered at the Summer School held in September 1965, at Oxford University. The book deals with the approximation of functions with one or more variables, through means of more elementary functions. It explains systems to approximate functions, such as trigonometric sums, rational functions, continued fractions, and spline functions. The book also discusses linear approximation including topics such as convergence of polynomial interpolation and the least-squares approximation. The text analyzes Bernstein polynomials, Weierstrass' theorem, and Lagrangian interpolation. The book also gives attention to the Chebyshev least-squares approximation, the Chebyshev series, and the determination of Chebyshev series, under general methods. These general methods are useful when the student wants to investigate practical methods for finding forms of approximations under various situations. One of the lectures concerns the general theory of linear approximation and the existence of a best approximation approach using different theorems. The book also discusses the theory and calculation of the best rational approximations as well as the optimal approximation of linear functionals. The text will prove helpful for students in advanced mathematics and calculus. It can be appreciated by statisticians and those working with numbers theory.
2. Some Abstract Concepts and Definitions
II. Linear Approximation
3. Convergence of Polynomial Interpolation
4. Least-Squares Approximation. Orthogonal Polynomials
5. Chebyshev Least-Squares Approximation
6. Determination and Properties of Chebyshev Expansions
7. The General Theory of Linear Approximation
8. The Exchange Algorithm on a Discrete Point Set
9. Calculation of the Best Linear Approximation on a Continuum
10. The Rate of Convergence of Best Approximations
III. Rational Approximation
11. Continued Fractions
12. Interpolation by Rational Functions
13. Economization of Continued Fractions
14. The Pade Table
15. Applications of the QD and ε Algorithms
16. Theory and Calculation of Best Rational Approximations
17. Convergence of Rational Approximations
18. Theory of General Non-linear Minimax Approximation
19. Spline Functions
20. Optimal Approximation of Linear Functionals
21. Optimal Approximation by Means of Spline Functions
22. An Introduction to ε-Entropy
23. Functions of Many Variables
24. Practical Considerations
- No. of pages:
- © Pergamon 1966
- 1st January 1966
- eBook ISBN:
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.