Using a unique collaborative care approach to adult health nursing, Medical-Surgical Nursing: Patient-Centered Collaborative Care, 8th Edition covers the essential knowledge you need to succeed at the RN level of practice. Easy-to-read content includes evidence-based treatment guidelines, an enhanced focus on QSEN competencies, and an emphasis on developing clinical judgment skills. This edition continues the book’s trendsetting tradition with increased LGBTQ content and a new Care of Transgender Patients chapter. Written by nursing education experts Donna Ignatavicius and M. Linda Workman, this bestselling text also features NCLEX® Exam-style challenge questions to prepare you for success on the NCLEX Exam. Cutting-edge coverage of the latest trends in nursing practice and nursing education prepares you not just for today’s nursing practice but also for tomorrow’s.
- UNIQUE! Collaborative care approach organizes all medical, surgical, nursing, and other interventions within the framework of the nursing process, mirroring the nurse’s role in the coordination/management of care in the real world of medical-surgical nursing.
- UNIQUE! A focus on nursing concepts relates concepts learned in Nursing Fundamentals with the disorders you will study in Medical-Surgical Nursing.
- Easy to read, direct-address writing style makes this one of the most readable medical-surgical nursing textbooks available.
- UNIQUE! A focus on QSEN emphasizes patient safety and evidence-based practice with Nursing Safety Priority boxes including Drug Alerts, Critical Rescues, and Action Alerts.
- UNIQUE! Emphasis on clinical judgment teaches you to develop skills in clinical reasoning and clinical decision-making when applying concepts to clinical situations, with Clinical Judgment Challenge questions throughout the chapters.
- An emphasis on prioritization stresses the most important patient problems and nursing interventions, with patient problems presented in a single prioritized list of nursing diagnoses and collaborative problems.
- UNIQUE! NCLEX preparation tools include chapter-opening Learning Outcomes and chapter-ending Get Ready for the NCLEX Examination! sections organized by NCLEX® Client Needs Categories, plus NCLEX Examination Challenge questions, with an answer key in the back of the book and on the Evolve companion website.
- Practical learning aids include NCLEX Examination Challenges, Clinical Judgment Challenges, Best Practice for Patient Safety & Quality Care charts, common examples of drug therapy, concept maps, laboratory profiles, and more.
- A clear alignment with the la
Unit 1: Foundations for Medical-Surgical Nursing
1. Introduction to Medical-Surgical Nursing Practice
2. Common Health Problems of Older Adults
3. Assessment and Care of Patients with Pain
4. Genetic Concepts for Medical-Surgical Nursing
5. Evidence-Based Practice in Health Care
6. Rehabilitation Concepts for Chronic and Disabling Health Problems
7. End-of-Life Care
Unit II: Concepts of Emergency Care and Disaster Preparedness
8. Concepts of Emergency and Trauma Nursing
9. Care of Patients with Common Environmental Emergencies
10. Concepts of Emergency and Disaster Preparedness
Unit III: Management of Patients with Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Imbalances
11. Assessment and Care of Patients with Fluid and Electrolyte Imbalances
12. Assessment and Care of Patients with Acid-Base Imbalances
13. Infusion Therapy
Unit IV: Management of Perioperative Patients
14. Care of Preoperative Patients
15. Care of Intraoperative Patients
16. Care of Postoperative Patients
Concept Overview: Protection
Unit V: Problems of Protection: Management of Patients with Problems of the Immune System
17. Inflammation and Immunity
18. Care of Patients with Arthritis and Other Connective Tissue Diseases
19. Care of Patients with HIV Disease and Other Immunodeficiencies
20. Care of Patients with Immune Function Excess: Hypersensitivity (Allergy) and Autoimmunity
21. Cancer Development
22. Care of Patients with Cancer
23. Care of Patients with Infection
Unit VI: Problems of Protection: Management of Patients with Problems of the Skin, Hair, and Nails
24. Assessment of the Skin, Hair, and Nails
25. Care of Patients with Skin Problems
26. Care of Patients with Burns
Concept Overview: Oxygenation and Tissue Perfusion
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2016
- 9th February 2015
- Paperback ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Speaker and Curriculum Consultant for Academic Nursing Programs; Founder, Boot Camp for Nurse Educators; President, DI Associates, Inc. Placitas, New Mexico
Formerly, Gertrude Perkins Oliva Professor of Oncology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio