Written by a dedicated team of expert authors led by Sharon Lewis, Medical-Surgical Nursing, 8th Edition offers up-to-date coverage of the latest trends, hot topics, and clinical developments in the field, to help you provide exceptional care in today's fast-paced health care environment. Completely revised and updated content explores patient care in various clinical settings and focuses on key topics such as prioritization, clinical decision-making, patient safety, and NCLEX® exam preparation. A variety of helpful boxes and tables make it easy to find essential information and the accessible writing style makes even complex concepts easy to grasp! Best of all — a complete collection of interactive learning and study tools help you learn more effectively and offer valuable, real-world preparation for clinical practice.
- Provides a strong foundation in medical-surgical nursing in a highly readable format.
- All content is written and reviewed by leading experts in the field to ensure that information is comprehensive, current, and clinically accurate.
- Colorful design and over 1,400 full-color illustrations clearly demonstrate disease processes and related anatomy and physiology.
- UNIQUE! A complete collection of study tools and resources, including the innovative Stress-Busting Kit for Nursing Students, offers engaging, interactive exercises and activities that make learning more effective and help prepare you for clinical practice.
- UNIQUE! Presents key nursing management content using a "levels of care" approach that explains how nursing care varies for different levels of health and illness.
- Approximately 55 comprehensive nursing care plans incorporate NIC, NOC, and current NANDA diagnoses, defining characteristics, expected outcomes, specific nursing interventions with rationales, evaluation criteria, and collaborative problems.
- Bridge to NCLEX Examination Review Questions at the end of each chapter focus on prioritization and help reinforce your understanding of key content.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes summarize key interdisciplinary research and clearly demonstrate how it applies to nursing practice.
- Collaborative Management headings and Collaborative Care tables emphasize the importance of total patient care in today's health care settings and provide a clear understanding of each provider's role in managing disorders.
- Drug Alert boxes highlight important considerations applicable to key drugs.
- Healthy People boxes summarize government health care goals as they relate to specific disorders and identify important strategies for the prevention and early detection of diseases.
- Drug Therapy tables highlight vital medication information for quick reference.
- Nutritional Therapy tables summarize nutritional interventions and strategies for promoting healthy lifestyles in patients with various conditions.
- Cultural and ethnic health disparities content includes a dedicated chapter on health disparities and culturally competent care, as well as summary boxes highlighting important issues (including risk factors) related to the nursing care of various ethnic populations.
- Extensive gerontologic content discusses age-related changes for each body system and alerts you to differences often encountered in older patients.
- Emergency Management tables outline the treatment of health problems most likely to create medical emergencies.
- Health History tables summarize the key questions you should ask, as well as important assessment parameters.
- Patient and Caregiver Teaching Guides provide critical information to help you educate others who will be helping to care for the patient.
- Ethical Dilemmas boxes promote critical thinking for timely and sensitive issues such as informed consent, patient adherence, guardianship, confidentiality, and sterilization.
- Complementary and Alternative Therapies boxes summarize what you need to know about the clinical uses, effects, and nursing implications of herbal remedies, acupuncture, biofeedback, and more
- Genetics in Clinical Practice boxes cover key topics such as genetic testing, Alzheimer's disease, sickle cell disease, and genetics-related ethics issues.
- A glossary of key terms and definitions in the back of the book provides definitions and page references.
Section One: Concepts in Nursing Practice
- Contemporary Nursing Practice
- Health Disparities and Culturally Competent Care
- Health History and Physical Examination
- Patient and Caregiver Teaching
- Chronic Illness and Older Adults
- Community-Based Nursing and Home Care
- Complementary and Alternative Therapies
- Stress and Stress Management
- Sleep and Sleep Disorders NEW CHAPTER!
- Palliative Care at End of Life
- Addictive Behaviors
- Inflammation and Would Healing
- Genetics, Altered Immune Responses, and Transplantation
- Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Imbalances
- Nursing Management: Preoperative Care
- Nursing Management: Intraoperative Care
- Nursing Management: Postoperative Care
- Nursing Assessment: Visual and Auditory Systems
- Nursing Management: Visual and Auditory Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Integumentary System
- Nursing Management: Integumentary Problems
- Nursing Management: Burns
- Nursing Assessment: Respiratory System
- Nursing Management: Upper Respiratory Problems
- Nursing Management: Lower Respiratory Problems
- Nursing Management: Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases
- Nursing Assessment: Hematologic System
- Nursing Management: Hematologic Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Cardiovascular System
- Nursing Management: Hypertension
- Nursing Management: Coronary Artery Disease and Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Nursing Management: Heart Failure
- Nursing Management: Dysrhythmias
- Nursing Management: Inflammatory and Structural Heart Disorders
- Nursing Management: Vascular Disorders
- Nursing Assessment: Gastrointestinal System
- Nursing Management: Nutritional Problems
- Nursing Management: Obesity
- Nursing Management: Upper Gastrointestinal Problems
- Nursing Management: Lower Gastrointestinal Problems
- Nursing Management: Liver, Pancreas, and Biliary Tract Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Urinary System
- Nursing Management: Renal and Urologic Problems
- Nursing Management: Acute Kidney Injury and Chronic Kidney Disease
- Nursing Assessment: Endocrine System
- Nursing Management: Diabetes Mellitus
- Nursing Management: Endocrine Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Reproductive System
- Nursing Management: Breast Disorders
- Nursing Management: Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Nursing Management: Female Reproductive Problems
- Nursing Management: Male Reproductive Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Nervous System
- Nursing Management: Acute Intracranial Problems
- Nursing Management: Stroke
- Nursing Management: Chronic Neurologic Problems
- Nursing Management: Alzheimer's Disease, Dementia, and Delirium
- Nursing Management: Peripheral Nerve and Spinal Cord Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Musculoskeletal System
- Nursing Management: Musculoskeletal Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery
- Nursing Management: Musculoskeletal Problems
- Nursing Management: Arthritis and Connective Tissue Diseases
- Nursing Management: Critical Care
- Nursing Management: Shock and Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome
- Nursing Management: Respiratory Failure and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
- Nursing Management: Emergency, Terrorism, and Disaster Nursing
Section Two: Pathophysiologic Mechanisms of Disease
Section Three: Perioperative Care
Section Four: Problems Related to Altered Sensory Input
Section Five: Problems of Oxygenation: Ventilation
Section Six: Problems of Oxygenation: Transport
Section Seven: Problems of Oxygenation: Perfusion
Section Eight: Problems of Ingestion, Digestion, Absorption, and Elimination
Section Nine: Problems of Urinary Function
Section Ten: Problems Related to Regulatory and Reproductive Mechanisms
Section Eleven: Problems Related to Movement and Coordination
Section Twelve: Nursing Care in Specialized Settings
A. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Basic Life Support
B. Nursing Diagnoses
C. Laboratory Values
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2011
- 15th November 2010
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Research Professor, Castella Distinguished Professor, School of Nursing, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX
Professor, School of Nursing, University of Delaware, Newark, DE; Staff Nurse, Emergency Department, Virtua Memorial Hospital, Mt. Holly, NJ
Professor and Chairperson, Biobehavioral Nursing and Health Systems, Elizabeth Sterling Soule Endowed Chair in Nursing, School of Nursing; Adjunct Professor, Division of Gastroenterology, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Associate Professor, College of Nursing and Health Innovation, Arizona State University, Phoenix, AZ
Ian M. Camera, Professor, Holyoke Community College, Holyoke, MA