Unit I: Foundations for Medical-Surgical Nursing
1. Introduction to Medical-Surgical Nursing
2. Introduction to Complementary and Alternative Therapies
3. Common Health Problems of Older Adults
4. Cultural Aspects of Health and Illness
5. Pain: The Fifth Vital Sign
6. Genetic Concepts for Medical-Surgical Nursing
7. Evidence-Based Practice in Medical-Surgical Nursing NEW!
8. Rehabilitation Concepts for Chronic and Disabling Health Problems
9. End-of-Life Care
Unit II: Concepts of Emergency Care and Disaster Preparedness
10 Concepts of Emergency and Trauma Nursing
11 Care of Patients with Common Environmental Emergencies
12 Concepts of Emergency and Disaster Preparedness
Unit III: Management of Patients with Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Imbalances
13. Assessment and Care of Patients with Fluid and Electrolyte Imbalances
14. Assessment and Care of Patients with Acid-Base Imbalances
15. Infusion Therapy
Unit IV: Management of Perioperative Patients
16. Care of Preoperative Patients
17. Care of Intraoperative Patients
18. Care of Postoperative Patients
Concept Overview: Protection
Unit V: Problems of Protection: Management of Patients with Problems of the Immune System
19. Inflammation and the Immune Response
20. Care of Patients with Arthritis and Other Connective Tissue Diseases
21. Care of Patients with HIV Disease and Other Immune Deficiencies
22. Care of Patients with Immune Function Excess: Hypersensitivity (Allergy) and Autoimmunity
23. Cancer Development
24. Care of Patients with Cancer
25. Care of Patients with Infection EXPANDED!
Unit VI: Problems of
Using a uniquely collaborative and reader-friendly approach, expert authors Donna D. Ignatavicius and M. Linda Workman cover all the latest trends, evidence-based treatment guidelines, and additional updated information needed for safe clinical practice in medical-surgical nursing. This seventh edition features an expanded emphasis on patient safety and NCLEX® Examination preparation, new ties to the QSEN priorities for patient safety, and a greater alignment with the language and focus of clinical practice. A new chapter on evidence-based practice and a wealth of effective online learning tools help solidify your mastery of medical-surgical nursing.
- UNIQUE! Collaborative approach presents all medical, surgical, nursing, and other interventions through the lens of the nursing process.
- Reader-friendly, direct writing style makes this one of the most readable medical-surgical nursing textbooks available.
- UNIQUE! Cutting-edge focus on the latest trends in nursing practice and nursing education prepares you for both today and tomorrow’s nursing practice.
- UNIQUE! Integrated tools for NCLEX preparation get you ready for your licensure examination.
- Chapter-opening Learning Outcomes are linked to Self-Assessment Questions for the NCLEX Examination on the Evolve website.
- Unique chapter-ending Get Ready for the NCLEX Examination! sections include Key Points organized by NCLEX Client Needs Categories.
- UNIQUE! Focus on nursing concepts helps bridge the gap between the concepts learned in Nursing Fundamentals, and disorders content learned in the medical-surgical nursing course.
- UNIQUE! Emphasis on clinical decision-making teaches you to apply concepts to true-to-life clinical situations.
- UNIQUE! Concentration on the core body of knowledge for the RN level of medical-surgical nursing practice focuses your attention on "need-to-know" content to pass the NCLEX Examination and practice safely as a beginning nurse.
- Rich array of effective learning aids includes:
- Best Practice for Patient Safety & Quality Care
- Best Practice for Emergency Care
- Patient and Family Education: Preparing for Self-Management
- Nursing Focus on the Older Adult
- Home Care Assessment
- Focused Assessment
- Common Examples of Drug Therapy
- Evidence-Based Practice
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Speaker and Curriculum Consultant for Academic Nursing Programs; Founder, Boot Camp for Nurse Educators; President, DI Associates, Inc. Placitas, New Mexico
Formerly, Gertrude Perkins Oliva Professor of Oncology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio