Unit One: Medical-Surgical Nursing Settings, Roles, and Issues
1. Caring for Medical-Surgical Patients
2. Critical Thinking and Nursing Process
Unit Two: Medical-Surgical Patient Care Problems
3. Fluids, Electrolytes, Acid-Base Balance, and Intravenous Therapy
4. Care of Preoperative and Intraoperative Surgical Patients
5. Care of Postoperative Surgical Patients
6. Infection Prevention and Control
7. Care of Patients with Pain
8. Care of Patients with Cancer
9. Chronic Illness and Rehabilitation
Unit Three: Immune System
10. The Immune and Lymphatic Systems
11. Care of Patients with HIV/AIDS
12. Care of Patients with Immune and Lymphatic Disorders
Unit Four: Respiratory System
13. The Respiratory System
14. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Upper Respiratory System
15. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Lower Respiratory System
Unit Five: Hematologic System
16. The Hematologic System
17. Care of Patients with Hematologic Disorders
Unit Six: Cardiovascular System
18. The Cardiovascular System
19. Care of Patients with Hypertension and Peripheral Vascular Disease
20. Care of Patients with Cardiac Disorders
21. Care of Patients with Coronary Artery Disease and Cardiac Surgery
Unit Seven: Neurologic System
22. The Neurologic System
23. Care of Patients with Head and Spinal Cord Injuries
24. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Brain
25. Care of Patients with Degenerative Neurologic Disorders
Unit Eight: Sensory System
26. The Sensory System: Eye and Ear
27. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Eyes and Ears
The clear, concise, and cutting-edge medical-surgical nursing content in Medical-Surgical Nursing: Concepts & Practice, 2nd Edition provides the solid foundation you need to pass the NCLEX Examination and succeed as a new nurse. It builds on the fundamentals of nursing and covers roles, settings, health care trends, all body systems and their disorders, emergency and disaster management, and mental health nursing. Written by noted authors Susan deWit and Candice Kumagai, Medical-Surgical Nursing reflects current national LPN/LVN standards with its emphasis on safety as well as complementary and alternative therapies.
- UNIQUE! LPN Threads share learning features with Elsevier's other LPN textbooks, providing a consistency across the Elsevier LPN curriculum.
- Key Terms include phonetic pronunciations and text page references.
- Key Points are located at the end of chapters and summarize chapter highlights.
- Overview of Anatomy and Physiology at the beginning of each body system chapter provides basic information for understanding the body system and its disorders.
- Nursing Process provides a consistent framework for disorders chapters.
- Evidence-Based Practice is highlighted with special icons indicating current research.
- Assignment Considerations boxes address situations in which the charge nurse delegates to the LPN/LVN or the LPN/LVN assigns tasks to unlicensed assistive personnel.
- Focused Assessment boxes include information on history taking and psychosocial assessment, physical assessment, and guidance on how to collect data/information for specific disorders.
- Elder Care Points boxes address the unique medical-surgical care issues that affect older adults.
- Legal and Ethical Considerations boxes focus on specific disorder-related issues.
- Safety Alert boxes highlight specific dangers to patients related to medications and clinical care.
- Clinical Cues provide guidance and advice related to the application of nursing care.
- Think Critically About boxes encourage you to synthesize information and ap
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2013
- 24th February 2012
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Formerly, Instructor of Nursing, El Centro College, Dallas, TX; and Allan Hancock College, Santa Maria, CA
Formerly, Instructor in Clinical Nursing, School of Nursing, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas