1. Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
2. Health Assessment
3. Critical Thinking
4. Complementary and Alternative Therapies
Unit II - Health Care Delivery Systems
5. Ambulatory Health Care
6. Acute Health Care
7. Critical Care
8. Home Health Care
9. Long-Term Care
Unit III - Foundations of Medical-Surgical Nursing
Anatomy and Physiology Review: Body Fluid Compartments and Cellular Function
11. Clients with Fluid Imbalances
12. Clients with Electrolyte Imbalances
13. Acid-Base Balance
14. Clients Having Surgery
Unit IV - Physiologic Foundations
Anatomy and Physiology Review: Physiologic Genomics
15. Perspectives in Genetics
16. Perspectives in Oncology
17. Clients with Cancer
18. Clients with Wounds
19. Perspectives on Infectious Disease and Bioterrorism
Unit V - Psychosocial Foundations
Anatomy and Physiology Review: Arousal, Pain, and Conscious Awareness
20. Clients with Pain
21. Perspectives in Palliative Care
22. Clients with Sleep and Rest Disorders and Fatigue
23. Clients with Psychosocial and Mental Health Concerns
24. Clients with Substance Abuse Disorders
Unit VI – Musculoskeletal Disorders
Anatomy and Physiology Review: The Musculoskeletal System
25. Assessment of the Musculoskeletal System
26. Management of Clients with Musculoskeletal Disorders
27. Management of Clients with Musculoskeletal Trauma or Overuse
Unit VII – Nutritional Disorders
Anatomy and Physiology Review: The Nutritional (Gastrointestinal) System
28. Assessment of Nutrition and the Digestive System
29. Management of Clients with Malnutrition
30. Management of Clients with Ingestive Disorders
31. Management of Clients with Digestive Disorders
Unit VIII –
Medical-Surgical Nursing: Clinical Management for Positive Outcomes, 8th Edition takes you from basic to advanced medical-surgical nursing with an enhanced multimedia package that makes it easier to learn and apply concepts. This text provides a reliable foundation in anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, medical management, and nursing care for the full spectrum of adult health conditions. The roles of various healthcare professionals in managing each disorder and are clearly outlined, and evidence-based practice and clinical guidelines are integrated throughout the text.
- UNIQUE! Evidence-Based Practice icons identify statements based on primary research or standardized guidelines and teach you to base your practice on solid research evidence.
- Translating Evidence into Practice boxes present a topic in the form of a clinical question and summarize the conclusions of 4-5 research articles, encouraging you to judge the research for yourself and consider how it relates to the nursing setting.
- Care Plans highlight nursing diagnoses and collaborative problems, expected outcomes, interventions with rationales, and evaluation to help you prioritize tasks and determine the appropriate treatment.
- Thinking Critically questions at the end of each nursing care chapter pose short, typical client scenarios followed by questions about what actions to take to test your critical thinking skills.
- Concept Maps illustrate the links among pathophysiological processes, clinical manifestations, medical treatment, and nursing interventions.
- Integrating Pharmacology boxes help you understand how medications can be used for disease management by exploring common classifications of routinely used medications.
- Bridge to Critical Care and Bridge to Home Health Care boxes introduce you to critical care and home health nursing by connecting these related specialties to medical-surgical nursing.
- Feature boxes highlight issues in Critical Monitoring, Management and Delegation, Genetics, Terrorism, Community-Based Practice, and Physical Assessment in the Healthy Adult.
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2009
- 28th March 2008
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Assistant Professor, College of Nursing, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
Professor of Nursing, Midland Lutheran College, Fremont, NE