Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
This book is the first to bridge the often disparate bodies of knowledge now known as applied mechanics and materials science. Using a very methodological process to introduce mechanics, materials, and design issues in a manner called "total structural design", this book seeks a solution in "total design space" Features include:
- A generalized design template for solving structural design problems.
- Every chapter first introduces mechanics concepts through deformation, equilibrium, and energy considerations. Then the constitutive nature of the chapter topic is presented, followed by a link between mechanics and materials concepts. Details of analysis and materials selection are subsequently discussed.
- A concluding example design problem is provided in most chapters, so that students may get a sense of how mechanics and materials come together in the design of a real structure.
- Exercises are provided that are germane to aerospace, civil, and mechanical engineering applications, and include both deterministic and design-type problems.
- Accompanying website contains a wealth of information complementary to this text, including a set of virtual labs. Separate site areas are available for the instructor and students.
- Combines theories of solid mechanics, materials science and structural design in one coherent text/reference
- Covers physical scales from the atomistic to continuum mechanics
- Offers a generalized structural design template
Students in mechanical, materials, civil, and aerospace engineering.
Preface About the Authors
- Mechanics and Materials
- Total Structural Design
- Design of Axial Structures
- Torsion Structures
- Flexural Structures
- Combined Static Loading
- Slender Compressive Axial Structures
- Materials for the Twenty-First Century Appendixes Review Modules Answers to Selected Problems Index
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2005
- 15th March 2005
- Academic Press
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor and Head, Mechanical & Industrial Engineering Department, Montana State University
Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department, University of Missouri, Columbia
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.