3. Fatigue, creep and wear properties of biomaterials
4. Fracture mechanics
5. Measurement of mechanical properties in biomaterials
6. Mechanical characterization of biomaterials
7. Mechanical performance of biomaterials
8. Medical and dental science
9. Medical devices
10. Stress/strain relationships for biomaterials
The area of understanding biological systems from an engineering perspective is relatively new and continues to transform qualitative understanding to quantitative understanding. Mechanical Behaviour of Biomaterials is focused at the interface between engineering and medicine, where new insights into engineering aspects will prove to be extremely useful on how they relate to biomedical sciences and their applications.
The main objective of this book is to focus on the mechanical behavior of biomaterials, covering key aspects such as mechanical properties, characterization, and performance. Particular emphasis is given to fatigue, creep and wear, fracture, and stress and strain relationships in biomaterials. Chapters look at both experimental and theoretical results.
This will be an essential reference for academics, biomechanical researchers, medical doctors, biologists, chemists, physicists, mechanical, biomedical and materials engineers, and industrial professionals working in related areas of biomedical engineering and medicine. It will also be a useful reference for postgraduates on biomedical, mechanical, biomaterials and engineering courses.
- Contributions from international experts
- Provides insights at the interfaces of disciplines such as engineering, medical and dental sciences
- Presents a comprehensive understanding on the mechanical properties of biomaterials
- Most of the classical aspects concerning mechanical characterization are covered, as well as attention to surface and bulk properties
Biomechanical researchers, medical doctors, biologists, chemists, physicists, mechanical, biomedical and materials engineers
- No. of pages:
- © Woodhead Publishing 2019
- 1st October 2018
- Woodhead Publishing
- Paperback ISBN:
J. Paulo Davim is a Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering of the University of Aveiro, Portugal. He has more than 30 years of teaching and research experience in Manufacturing, Materials and Mechanical Engineering with special emphasis in Machining & Tribology. He has also interest in Management & Industrial Engineering and Higher Education for Sustainability & Engineering Education. He has received several scientific awards, has worked as evaluator of projects for international research agencies as well as examiner of Ph.D. thesis for many universities. He is the Editor in Chief of several international journals, Guest Editor of journals, books Editor, book Series Editor and Scientific Advisory for many international journals and conferences. Presently, he is an Editorial Board member of 30 international journals and acts as reviewer for more than 80 prestigious Web of Science journals. In addition, he has also published as editor of more than 100 books and as author of more than 10 books, 60 book chapters and 400 articles in journals and conferences.
Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Aveiro, Portugal