Learn to calculate drug dosages safely and accurately! Math Calculations for Pharmacy Technicians, 3rd Edition helps you master the competencies required by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP). Designed specifically for Pharmacy Technicians, this practical worktext simplifies key calculation concepts and lets you work through hundreds of practice problems. Coverage includes a review of basic math skills, conversions between measurement systems, interpreting drug labels and physicians' orders, and calculating medication dosages based on a patient's age or body weight. The worktext format distills complex content into easy-to-understand concepts and calculations. Math Calculations for Pharmacy Technicians helps you develop the competencies you’ll need for a successful career as a Pharmacy Technician.
- Hundreds of practice problems throughout covering calculations, conversions, and measurements.
- Step-by-step examples to break down complex equations and formulas into simple building blocks.
- UNIQUE! Body system icons next to medication names to help students associate different drugs with their respective disorders and body systems.
- Chapter pretests and posttests to help students assess comprehension and areas of strength and improvement.
- Key terms with definitions and in-text highlights, accompanied by a handy back-of-book glossary for reference.
- Tech Notes with helpful advice on handling real-life situations in the pharmacy.
- Tech Alerts to warn against common pharmacy and medication errors that could impact patient safety.
- Review of Rules at the end of each chapter to summarize key equations and formulas.
Section I: Introduction and Basic Math Skills
1. Assessment of Mathematical Skills Needed in Health Occupations
2. Review of Basic Mathematical Skills
Section II: Measurements Used in Health Care and Conversions between Measurement Systems
3. Conversion of Clinical Measurements of Numbers, Time and Temperature
4. Comparisons of Measurement Systems
5. Conversions between Measurement Systems
Section III: Medication and Prescription Orders and Their Calculations
6. Interpretation of Medication Labels and Orders
7. Calculation of Solid Oral Doses and Dosages
8. Calculate Doses of Liquid Oral and Parenteral Medications
9. Reconstitution of Powders or Crystals into Liquid Medications
Section IV: Special Medication Calculations
10. Calculation of Medications for Special Populations Based on Body Weight and Patient Age
11. Calculation of Medications Measured in Units, Milliequivalents and Percents of Concentration
12. Calculation of Medications for Intravenous Uses (with TPN & chemotherapy coverage)
13. Calculation of Mixtures from Stock Medications
14. Interpreting Physician’s Orders for Dosages
Section V: Business Math
15. Business Math for Pharmacy Technicians
Answer Key (every third problem only)
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2018
- 28th December 2017
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Program Director and Instructor Pharmacy Technician Program Paul D. Camp Community College Franklin, VA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.