1. 21st Century Maternity Nursing: Culturally Competent, Family and Community Focused
Unit One: Reproductive Years
2. Assessment and Health Promotion
3. Common Concerns
4. Contraception, Abortion, and Infertility
Unit Two: Pregnancy
5. Genetics, Conception, and Fetal Development
6. Anatomy and Physiology of Pregnancy
7. Nursing Care of the Family during Pregnancy
8. Maternal and Fetal Nutrition
Unit Three: Childbirth
9. Labor and Birth Processes
10. Management of Discomfort
11. Fetal Assessment during Labor
12. Nursing Care of the Family during Labor and Birth
Unit Four: Postpartum Period
13. Maternal Physiologic Changes
14. Nursing Care of the Family during the Fourth Trimester
15. Transition to Parenthood
Unit Five: The Newborn
16. Physiologic and Behavioral Adaptations
17. Assessment and Care of the Newborn and Family
18. Newborn Nutrition and Feeding
Unit Six: Complications of Childbearing
19. Assessment of High Risk Pregnancy
20. Pregnancy at Risk: Preexisting Conditions
21. Pregnancy at Risk: Gestational Conditions
22. Labor and Birth at Risk
23. Postpartum Complications
24. The Newborn at Risk
A streamlined approach covers the fundamentals of maternity nursing! Maternity Nursing, 8th Edition focuses on the care of women during the childbearing years. Designed to meet the needs of today’s students, the book offers a clear, readable style and a concise, focused presentation. It integrates an understanding of family, culture, and health promotion into the continuum of care, and coverage of community-based care emphasizes nursing care in many different settings. Not only does Maternity Nursing focus on childbearing issues and concerns, including care of the newborn, but it also addresses wellness promotion and the management of common women’s health problems. The Evolve companion website includes useful study tools, including medical animations, video clips, a care plan builder, and NCLEX® exam-style review questions.
- A companion Evolve website includes student resources such as NCLEX® exam-style review questions, audio chapter summaries, a care plan builder, nursing skills, interactive case studies, video clips and animations, anatomy reviews, and an audio glossary with Spanish pronunciations.
- Unique! Nursing Alerts highlight critical information in providing care.
- Unique! Emergency boxes provide step-by-step procedures for pediatric and maternity emergencies.
- Unique! Cultural Considerations boxes discuss customs and beliefs of different cultures that may affect care for patients and families.
- Unique! Community Activity boxes provide maternal and newborn exercises to enhance care in local community settings.
- Unique! Nursing Process boxes identify information on major diseases and conditions.
- Patient Instructions for Self-Management boxes highlight the information nurses need to communicate to patients and families.
- Critical Thinking exercises are based on case studies of real-life situations.
- Coverage of nursing care management uses a framework of the five steps of the nursing process as well as a focus on collaborative care.
- Nursing care plans include specific guidelines and rationales for interventions.
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2011
- 28th January 2010
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Clinical Professor Emerita, School of Nursing, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC
Professor Emerita, School of Nursing, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA
Clinical Nurse Specialist, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN, USA