- A companion Evolve website includes student resources such as NCLEX® exam-style review questions, audio chapter summaries, a care plan builder, nursing skills, interactive case studies, video clips and animations, anatomy reviews, and an audio glossary with Spanish pronunciations.
- Unique! Nursing Alerts highlight critical information in providing care.
- Unique! Emergency boxes provide step-by-step procedures for pediatric and maternity emergencies.
- Unique! Cultural Considerations boxes discuss customs and beliefs of different cultures that may affect care for patients and families.
- Unique! Community Activity boxes provide maternal and newborn exercises to enhance care in local community settings.
- Unique! Nursing Process boxes identify information on major diseases and conditions.
- Patient Instructions for Self-Management boxes highlight the information nurses need to communicate to patients and families.
- Critical Thinking exercises are based on case studies of real-life situations.
- Coverage of nursing care management uses a framework of the five steps of the nursing process as well as a focus on collaborative care.
- Nursing care plans include specific guidelines and rationales for interventions.
1. 21st Century Maternity Nursing: Culturally Competent, Family and Community Focused
Unit One: Reproductive Years
2. Assessment and Health Promotion
3. Common Concerns
4. Contraception, Abortion, and Infertility
Unit Two: Pregnancy
5. Genetics, Conception, and Fetal Development
6. Anatomy and Physiology of Pregnancy
7. Nursing Care of the Family during Pregnancy
8. Maternal and Fetal Nutrition
Unit Three: Childbirth
9. Labor and Birth Processes
10. Management of Discomfort
11. Fetal Assessment during Labor
12. Nursing Care of the Family during Labor and Birth
Unit Four: Postpartum Period
13. Maternal Physiologic Changes
14. Nursing Care of the Family during the Fourth Trimester
15. Transition to Parenthood
Unit Five: The Newborn
16. Physiologic and Behavioral Adaptations
17. Assessment and Care of the Newborn and Family
18. Newborn Nutrition and Feeding
Unit Six: Complications of Childbearing
19. Assessment of High Risk Pregnancy
20. Pregnancy at Risk: Preexisting Conditions
21. Pregnancy at Risk: Gestational Conditions
22. Labor and Birth at Risk
23. Postpartum Complications
24. The Newborn at Risk