Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Materials for Biomedical Engineering: Thermoset and Thermoplastic Polymers presents the newest and most interesting approaches to intelligent polymer engineering in both current and future progress in biomedical sciences. Particular emphasis is placed on the properties needed for each selected polymer and how to increase their biomedical potential in varying applications, such as drug delivery and tissue engineering. These materials are intended for use in diagnoses, therapy and prophylaxis, but are also relatable to other biomedical related applications, such as sensors. Recent developments and future perspectives regarding their use in biomedicine are discussed in detail, making this book an ideal source on the topic.
- Highlights the most well-known applications of thermoset and thermoplastic polymers in biological and biomedical engineering
- Presents novel opportunities and ideas for developing or improving technologies in materials for companies, those in biomedical industries, and others
- Features at least 50% of references from the last 2-3 years
Postgraduate students, academic and industrial researchers, working in biomedical engineering, materials science, and nanotechnology and biomaterials, medical and pharmaceutical companies
- Introduction in thermoplastic and thermosetting polymers
2. Laser surface texturing of thermoplastics to improve biological performance
3. Light-mediated thermoset polymers
4. Thermoset, bioactive, metal-polymer composites for medical applications
5. Epoxy composites in biomedical engineering
6. Polyethylene and polypropylene matrix composites for biomedical applications
8. Thermoset polymethacrylate-based materials for dental applications
9. Maleic anhydride copolymers as a base for neoglycoconjugate synthesis for lectin binding
10. Particulate systems of PLA and its copolymers
11. Polylactide: the polymer revolutionizing the biomedical field
12. Poly(propylene fumarate)-based biocomposites for tissue engineering applications
13. Diblock and triblock copolymers of polylactide and polyglycolide
14. Characteristics of polymeric materials used in medicine
15. Application of polymethyl methacrylate, acrylic and silicone in ophthalmology
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2019
- 28th March 2019
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Valentina Grumezescu is a Scientific Researcher at the National Institute for Lasers, Plasma & Radiation Physics, Magurele, Romania. She is an experienced researcher in the field of fabrication of biomedical thin coatings by laser processing. She has published over 40 research and review papers in the field of nanobiomaterials and several book chapters on the application of laser processing in biomedical field. She is also the assistant editor of the journal Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry.
Scientific Researcher, National Institute for Lasers, Plasma and Radiation Physics, Magurele, Romania
Alexandru Mihai Grumezescu is a lecturer in the Department of Science and Engineering of Oxide Materials and Nanomaterials, at the Faculty of Applied Chemistry and Materials Science, Politehnica University of Bucharest, Romania. He is an experienced researcher and published editor in the field of nano and biostructures. He is the editor-in-chief of two international open access journals: Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, Letters and Applied NanoBioScience. Dr. Grumezescu has published more than 200 peer-reviewed papers, authored nine books, and has served as an editor for more than 50 scholarly books.
Assistant Professor, Department of Science and Engineering of Oxide Materials and Nanomaterials, Faculty of Applied Chemistry and Materials Science and Faculty of Medical Engineering, Politehnica University of Bucharest, Romania
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.