Materials for Biomedical Engineering: Absorbable Polymers provides a detailed and comprehensive review of recent progress in absorbable biopolymers and their impact on biomedical engineering. The main focus is on classification, processing, properties and performance, biocompatibility and applications, in tissue engineering, drug delivery, bone repair and regenerative medicine. The most up-to-date methods used to obtain such polymers and how to improve their properties is discussed in detail. This book provides readers with a comprehensive and updated review of the latest research in the field of absorbable polymers for biomedical applications.
- Provides knowledge of the range of absorbable polymers currently available, enabling the reader to make optimal materials selection decisions
- Detailed information about current and proposed applications of the latest developments empowers readers to design innovative products and processes
- Strong emphasis on chemistry and physico-chemical characterization of these materials and application in biomedical engineering
Researchers and postgraduate students, industrial R&D, working in biomaterials, biomedical engineering, materials science, nanotechnology and biomaterials, medical and pharmaceutical companies
- Degradation vs Resorption
2. Plant Derived Resorbable Polymers In Tissue Engineering
3. Resorbable Polymer Fibers (Collagen, Silk, Bio-cellulose)
4. Resorbable Polymers in Bone Repair and Regeneration
5. Resorbable Composite Polymer Fibers for Biomedical Applications
6. Biodegradable Polymer Nanocomposites for Tissue Engineering: Synthetic Strategies and Related Applications
7. PLA and PLGA Nanoparticles: Versatility in Biomedical Applications
8. Collagen as a Potential Biopolymer for the Production of Porous Matrices with Application in Tissue Engineering
9. Resorbable Polymer Matrices: Chitosan Substituted Collagen Biomaterials
10. Biomedical Engineering of Chitosan Composites in Wound Healing Purposes
11. Microbial Cellulose: Production and Application
12. Alginate as a versatile polymer matrix with biomedical and food applications
13. "Analytical methods in resorbable polymer development
and biodegradation tracking"
14. Biocompatibility of Resorbable Material for Fixation Device
15. Recent progress in polyester-urethanes
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2019
- 1st July 2019
- Paperback ISBN:
is a lecturer in the Department of Science and Engineering of Oxide Materials and Nanomaterials, at the Faculty of Applied Chemistry and Materials Science, Politehnica University of Bucharest, Romania. He is an experienced researcher and editor in the field of nano and biostructures. He is the editor-in-chief of two international open access journals: Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, Letters, and Letters in Applied NanoBioScience . Dr. Grumezescu has published more than 200 peer-reviewed papers, authored nine books and has served as editor on more than 50 scholarly books.
Assistant Professor, Department of Science and Engineering of Oxide Materials and Nanomaterials, Faculty of Applied Chemistry and Materials Science and Faculty of Medical Engineering, Politehnica University of Bucharest, Romania
Valentina Grumezescu is a Scientific Researcher at the National Institute for Lasers, Plasma & Radiation Physics, Magurele, Romania. She is an experienced researcher in the field of fabrication of biomedical thin coatings by laser processing. She has published over 40 research and review papers in the field of nanobiomaterials and several book chapters on the application of laser processing in biomedical field. She is also the assistant editor of the journal Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry.
Scientific Researcher, National Institute for Lasers, Plasma and Radiation Physics, Magurele, Romania