A new volume in the successful revision guide series – Master Dentistry - which offers a concise text covering the essentials of oral biology with accompanying self-assessment questions and model answers.
- Quick reference revision aid for dental students – ideal for exam preparation!
- Covers the ‘essentials’ of the subject to a level that is expected with the GDC’s curriculum outlined in the First Five Years document.
- Each chapter provides a brief overview of the topic and lists the essential learning objectives for that area of study.
- Presents key anatomical, biochemical and physiological material in a useful, integrated, clinically relevant format.
- Includes extensive self-testing material – true false questions, extended matching questions, picture questions, and essay questions – enabling readers to assess their knowledge and perfect exam techniques.
- Contains unique, ‘mind-map’ summary sheets to provide crucial information in a pictorial format to further promote learning.
1. The anatomy of the oral cavity and the jaws
2. Temporomandibular (craniomandibular) joint
3. The human dentition-tooth morphology and occlusion
4. The oro-facial musculature, mastication and swallowing
5. The tongue, flavour and thermoreception, speech
6. The vasculature, lymphatics and innervation of the oro-dental tissues
7. Salivary glands, saliva and salivation
8. Investing organic layers on enamel surfaces
9. Development of the craniofacial complex
10. Early tooth development, root development (including cementogenesis) and tooth eruption
11. Mechanisms of mineralisation
12. The dental tissues I. Enamel (structure, composition and development)
13. Dental tissues II. The dentine/pulp complex(structure, composition, development and oral pain)
14. The dental tissues III. Cementum (structure and composition)
15. The periodontal ligament (including oral and periodontal mechanoreception and the tooth support mechanism)
16. Alveolar bone (structure and composition)
17. The oral mucosa and gingival crevicular fluid (structure and composition)
Revision Summary Charts
- The oral cavity
- The jaws
- Temporomandibular joint
- Incisors of the human dentition
- Canines of the human dentition
- Premolars of the human dentition
- Molars of the human dentition
- The alignment and occlusion of the human permanent dentition
- Anatomy of the oro-facial musculature
- The tongue
- Vasculature and innervation of oro-dental structure
- Major salivary glands