Massage Therapy: Principles and Practice, 4th Edition helps you master the foundational knowledge, skills, and abilities for your career in massage therapy. With clear writing and a straightforward approach, leading massage authority Susan G. Salvo and her team of expert contributors and reviewers provide cutting-edge, practical information and professional insight in one broad, in-depth, and visually engaging resources, giving you everything you need to launch a successful career in massage therapy.
- Clear, straightforward approach simplifies complex content for better understanding.
- Thorough anatomy and physiology coverage integrated throughout helps you master essential A&P concepts without buying additional resources.
- Emphasis on kinesiology includes more than 170 images of muscles, bones, joints, and related structures, and useful muscle action charts.
- Bound-in DVD guides you through 2 hours of techniques, routines, client interactions, and case scenarios.
- 675 high-quality illustrations clarify difficult concepts in vibrant detail.
- Biography profiles and candid interviews provide a real-world perspective on massage practice from the most respected authorities in massage and bodywork.
- DVD icons throughout the text and E-Resources lists at the end of each chapter direct you to corresponding multimedia resources on the bound-in DVD and companion Evolve website to help you save time and study more efficiently.
Foreword by Michael Shea
Unit I: Foundations for Practice, Basic and Complementary Methods, and Business Practices
1. History of Massage
2. Therapeutic Relationships
3. Tools of the Trade
4. Self Care: Health, Wellness, Nutrition, and Stress Reduction
5. Research Literacy
6. Massage Effects and Indications
7. Body Mechanics, Client Positioning, and Draping
8. Massage Techniques, Joint Mobilizations, and Stretches
9. Infection Control and Emergency Preparedness
10. Treatment Planning: Intake, Assessment, and Documentation
11. Special Populations: Pregnant Women, Infants, Children and Adolescents, Elderly, Hospice, Disabilities, and Impairments
12. Hydrotherapy and Spa
13. Foot Reflexology
14. Clinical Massage
15. Seated Massage
16. Energy-Based Bodywork Therapy: Shiatsu and Ayurveda
17. Business, Marketing, Accounting, and Finance
Unit II: Anatomy and Physiology
18. Introduction to the Human Body: Cells, Tissues, and the Body Compass
19. Skeletal System
20. Muscular System
22. Integumentary System
23. Nervous System
24. Endocrine System
25. Reproductive System
26. Cardiovascular System
27. Lymphatic System and Immunity
28. Respiratory System
29. Digestive System
30. Urinary System
Case Study Index
- © Saunders 2012
- 28th June 2011
- eBook ISBN:
Co-Owner, Co-Director, and Instructor, Louisiana Institute of Massage Therapy, Lake Charles, LA; Veteran Massage Therapist, Lake Charles, LA