Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Markov process theory is basically an extension of ordinary calculus to accommodate functions whos time evolutions are not entirely deterministic. It is a subject that is becoming increasingly important for many fields of science. This book develops the single-variable theory of both continuous and jump Markov processes in a way that should appeal especially to physicists and chemists at the senior and graduate level.
- A self-contained, prgamatic exposition of the needed elements of random variable theory
- Logically integrated derviations of the Chapman-Kolmogorov equation, the Kramers-Moyal equations, the Fokker-Planck equations, the Langevin equation, the master equations, and the moment equations
- Detailed exposition of Monte Carlo simulation methods, with plots of many numerical examples
- Clear treatments of first passages, first exits, and stable state fluctuations and transitions
- Carefully drawn applications to Brownian motion, molecular diffusion, and chemical kinetics
Professionals/scientists without training in probability and statistics (using books as a "self-help" guide), senior undergraduate and graduate level students in physics and chemistry and mathematicians specializing in game theory, and finite math
Random Variable Theory. General Features of a Markov Process. Continuous Markov Processes. Jump Markov Processes with Continuum States. Jump Markov Processes with Discrete States. Temporally Homogeneous Birth-Death Markov Processes. Appendixes: Some Useful Integral Identities. Integral Representations of the Delta Functions. An Approximate Solution Procedure for "Open" Moment Evolution Equations. Estimating the Width and Area of a Function Peak. Can the Accuracy of the Continuous Process Simulation Formula Be Improved? Proof of the Birth-Death Stability Theorem. Solution of the Matrix Differential Equation. Bibliography. Index.
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 1991
- 8th October 1991
- Academic Press
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Naval Weapons Center
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.