Written by experts in the field, Marine Microbiology presents the latest experimental techniques in the detail required for modern environmental microbiological research. Chapters start with the introduction and background of a particular method, followed by a concise description of the procedures involved. There is also a list of vendors who supply critical components which includes names, addresses, and websites at the end of each chapter.
* Covers both established and novel current methods
* Historical perspective
* Enumeration of autotrophic picoplankton, bacteria and viruses
* Fingerprinting Viral Assemblages by Pulsed Field Gel electrophoresis (PFGE)
* Fluorescence in situ hybridization with rRNA-targeted oligonucleotide probes
* Detection of phytoplankton by remote sensing
* Marine pollution microbiology
* Microbes in extreme environments
* List of suppliers provided at end of each chapter
* Colour plate section
Marine microbiologists, environmental microbiologists, marine ecologists, virologists, pharmaceutical and biotech companies.